Chapter 30

Jiang Cheng and Jin Ling walked leisurely through the hallways making their way to Yanli's room. Jin Ling and Jiang Yanli's room were in fact just near each other and there was no need for them to rush. They soon arrived at the room. They stood before the door and knocked first.

"Are you all finished dressing Shanli?" Jiang Cheng asked from behind the door waiting for a response.

A voice of a maid soon answered, "Chengsu-ji is almost finished Sect Leader."

A gentle voice followed, "Come in, Jiang Cheng." Finally having the permit, Jiang Cheng opened the door and walked in. When they entered, the maids were still working on Shanli's hair which was almost done. The clothes that the maids picked were already worn on her. Jin Ling commented about this first as he sat at one of the chairs standing at the side.

"A-niang's hanfu suits you ayi." Jin Ling commented with a smile.

Lan Shanli chuckled at this, "Thank you. But your mother will suiit this more if she was the one wearing it."

There was a moment of silence before responding with an, "En." Jin Ling was smiling but there was a hint of sadness in his eyes. Jin Ling had wished to see his mother wearing different hanfus, wearing them on different occasions. He didn't have any memories of her mother's face. Neither his father. He had only seen them in portraits and paintings and if weren't for those, he surely won't have any idea of what his parents looked like.

He suddenly felt a hand on his head, it didn't do anything and just lay there. Jiang Cheng spoke, "Stop wearing those sad eyes." These were the only words Jiang Cheng said and his hand finally slipped off from Jin Ling's head.

Jin Ling only pouted and looked away when a sudden knock came from the door following a young maiden's stuttering voice, "C-chengsu-ji? May I come in?"

"Come in." Lan Shanli replied. The door finally swung open revealing Yu Shishi who has already changed her cloth. Yu Shishi caught sight of both her uncle and second cousin seating at the side. Jin Ling was glaring so intently at her but Yu Shishi only rolled her eyes at him and faced Lan Shanli.

"Chengsu-ji?" Yu Shishi called in a low voice.

Lan Shanli looked at Yu Shishi through the mirror where she could see her standing a few steps away from her, fiddling her finger, "Hmm? Is something bothering you?"

"No! I... I wanted to apologize on behalf of my grandmother." from the mirror, Lan Shanli could see Yu Shishi bowing her head.

Lan Shanli hurried, "Shishi, please raise your head. You don't have to bow, I'll accept your apology."

Yu Shishu obeyed and raised her head, "Thank you."

"Did you finally see out your grandma?" Jiang Cheng suddenly asked.

"Yes." Yu Shishi replied in a low voice, slowly walking to the chair beside Jin Ling and sitting down.

"See out? Did Madam Yu leave?" Lan Shanli asked, a little bit worried toward the old lady despite the harsh words that were just said to her a while ago. Madam Yu must have arrived newly before their confrontation and she must be tired after a long journey. Visiting Lotus Pier would only be useless if the old lady went back right away.

"I made her leave." Jiang Cheng said without batting an eye. Lan Shanli was speechless and just internally sighed. She had known Jiang Cheng since they were teens and she expected this to happen. If she says something about it, it will only probably end with a small argument between the two.