Chapter 28

3rd Person's POV

"By the way, how are you doing?" Shanli asked.

"I'm doing fine as always!" Lin Zhi energetically replied.

Shanli chuckled, "That's good to hear."

As Shanli talked for a while with Lin Zhi, A-Fei was busy looking for his older brother among the people in the river. After spotting a certain person, her face lit up, a huge smile on her lips.

A-Fei rushed in excitement, "Dajie! Dajie! Put me down, I saw gege!"

Shanli immediately put down the small child and watched her run toward the river. Jin Ling noticed that the A-Fei didn't have any intention to stop and will jump in the river anytime just to get closer to his older brother, "A-Fei! Don't get into the river!" Jin Ling stopped the child.

Luckily, A-Fei listened and halted. Jin Ling heaved a breath and walked toward the child, leaving his aunt behind.

"Don't just run straight to the river like that. Your brother can come to you. You'll get wet if you jump in the river." Jin Ling lectured.

"A-Fei... what are you doing here?" a voice called out as that person stepped into the dry land, wiping his soaked hands at the hem of his robe.

"Gege! I found you!" A-Fei run toward that person and hugged his thigh.

Jin Ling approached, "Yao Chen."

"Ah..." the boy named Yao Chen clasped his hands, "Young Master Jin."

Jin Ling sighed, "Don't ever leave your sister alone. She looked for you everywhere awhile ago."

Yao Chen bowed, "I apologize for the trouble my sister brought."

Jin Ling nodded and hummed in approval. His eyes slowly swept by the river watching the maids return to their work. He suddenly spotted someone. A smirk was formed on his lips. He left the two siblings and walked a little bit closer to the river, almost standing just beside the water. He called out to that person with a mocking tone, "Yu Shishi, did you finally consider working as a maid?"

The girl named Yu Shishi turned around to look at Jin Ling, her brows twitching in annoyance, "What are you doing here?" Yu Shishi glared.

"What? Am I not allowed here?" Jin Ling retorted back. Yu Shishi grew more annoyed. Jin Ling added full of mockery, "If you work as a maid, jiujiu might pay you an allowance too. There's nothing bad about that."

"You!--"

The two cousins bickered with each other, a lot more worse with how Jingyi and Jin Ling bicker. Yu Shishi and Jin Ling were cousins, second cousins.

Yu Shishi was the granddaughter of Yu Meishan Sect's Sect Leader, also known as Yu Ziyuan's brother, Yu Yiqiu. Yu Shishi was clearly from Yu Meishan Sect but she grew up in Lotus Pier. Yu Shishi was 4 years old when she first met Jiang Cheng. With just a short stare at the young man, she was easily captivated by the man's confident and arrogant aura and demanded to her parents to let her live with his uncle Jiang Cheng after. Her parent's disagreed but with how stubborn she was, her parent's finally agreed and went to talk to Jiang Cheng about it.

Jiang Cheng wasn't that good at taking care of children, he was even struggling at raising his nephew, Jin Ling and now he had to take care of his niece. He didn't allow it at first but his cousin, Yu Shishi's father begged to let his daughter live in Lotus Pier saying his daughter like him so much. Jiang Cheng was perplexed after that. A child? likes him? After a few thoughts, he finally agreed and took Yu Shishi with him at Lotus Pier.

After taking Yu Shishi to Lotus Pier, Jiang Cheng had her introduce to Jin Ling but he didn't like her and that made them not get along properly with each other. But as they grew up, they also slowly accept each other and sometimes plays but their teasing, bickers, and fights were still there until they turned 15.

While the two cousins busied themselves in bickering, Lin Zhi at the side of the river returned to her work while Lan Shanli observed the maids doing laundry.

Lan Shanli spotted the two siblings talking with each other. The older brother looked like he was lecturing her sister calmly. Shanli walked closer to them and overheard their conversation.

"Don't just stroll around in Lotus Pier."

"But I want to see you! And I also saw Ling-gege and a pretty dajie! They're the ones who brought me here!"

"Hello there."
Shanli approached with a warm smile.

Hearing the voice, A-Fei turned around as her smile grew wider. She continued to tug at her older brother's hem in excitement, "Gege, It's her! She's the pretty dajie I saw!"

Shanli chuckled at the kid's words. She thought that the kid was a bit exaggerating for calling her pretty. Shanli felt a little bit shy by hearing the compliments.

Shanli cleared her throat and said, "So you're A-Fei's older brother. Yao Chen right?"

"Ah, yes. It is Yao Chen."
Yao Chen politely replied.

Lan Shanli, "Then... Do you perhaps know me?"

Yao Chen nodded, "Yes, you're Chengsu-ji from the Gusu Lan Sect. Sect Leader Jiang had already mentioned you to us and he said we should be expecting your visit someday."

"Wahhh! So you're Chemso-gi!"
A-Fei squealed making Lan Shanli laugh from the child's mistake at calling her title.

"A-Fei, it's Chengsu-ji not Chemso-gi." Yao Chen corrected his little sister.

A-Fei, "Chensu-gi?"

Yao Chen, "It's Cheng.Su.Ji."

A-Fei imitated, "Cheng.Su.Ji."

Lan Shanli chuckled and said, "Just call me Shanli-dajie, all right?"

A-Fei wore a bright smile and giggled, "Okay Shanli-dajie!"

Shanli smiled back and patted the child's hair.

Shanli has always been fond of children. She liked how cheerful and active they were. She gave them utmost love and care as a big sister whether they were blood-related or not. She was even assigned for the education of the children in the Lan Sect and those children under her teaching became outstanding cultivators including Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi. When Shanli visits Lotus Pier, she sometimes teaches Jin Ling and guides also the other disciples as well.

She looked at the two cousins over the river who were now fighting and splashing water at each other. Jin Ling was a lot more furious, "Don't you know I just changed clothes before I came here?!"

Yu Shishi retorted and splashed a bucket full of water at Jin Ling, "Is that my fault? No!"

"Sho-should we stop them?"
Yao Chen worriedly asked.

Lan Shanli sighed, "Just let them be, they're always like that. Once they start fighting, no one can stop them. They'll be fine later."

Yao Chen, "Is that so..."

"Yao Chen, have you ever had a conversation with Jin Ling?"
Shanli suddenly asked.

Yao Chen, "Young Master Jin? Yes, actually. Ever since Sect Leader Jiang invited me to be a disciple, Young Master Jin has been helping and teaching me with archery. So we sometimes talk with each other."

Lan Shanli smiled warmly, feeling happy about it, "Really? That's good then."

Yao Chen looked at Shanli and saw her smile. Yao Chen thought her warm smile was beautiful.

"Yao Chen," Shanli called again, she continued, "What do you think of Jin Ling?"

"Young Master Jin... I think he's--"

"Ling-gege is stinky!!"
A-Fei exclaimed and laughed.

Lan Shanli almost laughed, "Pfft-"

"BWAHAHAHA! Did you hear that Young Mistress?! She said you're stinky! HAHAHAHA!" Yu Shishi laughed loudly.

"You!--" Jin Ling then turned to A-Fei and glared at her but the kid didn't feel any fear and only laughed.

Lan Shanli, "Okay okay, that's enough. So, Yao Chen, what do you think of Jin Ling?"

"Young Master is kind but he sometimes tends to be arrogant and slightly rude."
Yao Chen said.

He added, "And childish sometimes." and Shanli almost laughed again. She composed herself and stood straight, looking at the distance.

Lan Shanli spoke, "Jin Ling's parents, my friends, died when he was still a month old," Lan Shanli had a grief expression, she added, "and for some reason, I blame myself about their death."

"They were just in front of me..."

Shanli's eyes widened in horror, her heart dropping, "JIN ZIXUAAAN!!!"

"And yet..."

Shanli's arms were raised, sword in hands, swinging it around to kill the fierce corpse that's attacking her. But as soon she caught a glimpse of someone... getting stabbed in that person's throat, Shanli's arms dropped. She couldn't believe what she had just seen and stood there stiffly, feeling lifeless, "Ya-Yanli-jie..."

"I... I couldn't save them..."

Shanli clenched her fist, her lips trembling a bit while fighting back the tears. She took a deep breath first and spoke after, "Ever since his parent's died, I promised to help raise Jin Ling with Jiang Cheng."

"When Jin Ling was still a small kid—just around the same age as your sister, he started getting bullied... for being an orphan."

"Because of being bullied, it was harder for him to befriend anyone as he grow up. And it was also because of that, that he became arrogant. But he was just honestly showing that he is braver than anyone, that he will climb to the top even without his parents by his side."

Shanli confidently said, "Jin Ling is a kind child. Believe me."

Yao Chen, "I believe you Chengsu-ji."

Shanli glanced at Yao Chen before smiling, "Thank you. And so... if it's not too much to ask... please befriend with Jin Ling."

Yao Chen was taken aback for a while, but he gladly nodded and replied full of enthusiast, "I will!"

Shanli couldn't help but smile and say, "Thank you--"

"Get over here you!--" Yu Shishi started chasing Jin Ling, their feet already on the ground. Jin Ling only stuck his tongue out and started running again, going in Shanli's direction. Yu Shishi chased after Jin Ling and as she got closer and closer, she decided to splash into Jin Ling's back but Jin Ling was fast and easily dodged the incoming water.

As if the time was in slow motion, the water was heading toward Lan Shanli. It was too sudden that she couldn't dodge it. She ended up getting splashed with the water at her face making her Gusu Lan Sect robe wet.

Everyone was silent.

They stared at the already soaked Shanli in shock. Shanli only stood there, not uttering a single word.

"Ch-Ch-Chengsu-ji! Are you okay?!" Yao Chen asked, panicking a little.

A-Fei, "Shanli-dajie, you're wet..."

Jin Ling retreated, "Ayi..."

Yu Shishi cursed silently and whispered, "Fuck, it's your fault, Jin Ling."

Jin Ling whispered back, "Why is it my fault?!"

"Jin Rulan. Yu Shishi." Lan Shanli called, a hint of warning in her tone.

When Jin Lin and Yu Shishi turned to look at her nervously... her face looked dark.

They gulped.

---

Shanli took her handkerchief from her sleeve but as she took it out, it was also wet. He had to squeeze the water out and wipe it to her face even though it was already wet. She also removed her jacket and outer robe and hang them by a tree to dry them. The maids gave her a dry towel to cover her up.

She stood before the cousins whose heads were low. Yu Shishi was playing with her fingers, her lips forming a pout.

She stared at the two not truly knowing what to say. She sighed, "Both of you, look at yourself. You're both soaked. If Jiang Cheng saw you like these, what do you think will happen?"

"He'll probably scold us..."
Jin Ling replied, still his head low.

Shanli sighed once again but the corner of her lips curved upward, she felt like laughing but she held it. She raised her hands and put it on top of their head, "Okay, let's just help to rinse the bed sheets and the pillow covers, and then we'll finish it faster. Once we get back, change into your dry clothes and eat at least a hot congee so you won't get a cold. Is that clear?"

Jin Ling, "Yes."

Yu Shishi, "Yes..."

Shanli wore a satisfied smile as she removed the towel covering her and hang it along with her wet robes. She pulled up her tight sleeves up to her elbow as she started walking toward the river and helped the other maids with the rinsing.

The other maids refused in letting her help but Shanli insisted. Due to Jin Ling and Yu Shishi's action, both of them had to help too also.

---

All of the laundries were finished rinsing and it was time for them to go back to Lotus Pier to hang the sheets and covers to let it dry.

They walked back to Lotus Pier, carrying a basket in their arms filled with sheets and covers. They talked and chatted back to their residence until they arrived.

They were on their way to the clothesline area where they usually hang the clothes while a certain old woman was standing in a corner, observing the group of people carrying baskets.

She had a hard expression on her face as she asked the disciple by her side, eyeing the two cousins "Those two children... are those A-Ling and Shi-er?"

The disciple looked over the two people the old woman was eyeing. After confirming the identity of the two, the disciple nodded, "Yes, Madam Yu. It is Young Master Jin and Young Maiden Yu."

The old woman's brows furrowed, her gaze moving over to a certain woman, "Is that..."

She fixated a scowl toward that woman after realizing who she was, "That woman... what is she doing here?!"