22: Save Me

Winter had insisted that we walk our way to wherever she was taking me; saying it wasn’t that far and it would only take us ten minutes. Classes were ongoing so I wasn’t worried about being seen by a student from our school. Besides, I would like to take this rather rare chance to appreciate the usually rambunctious surrounding area of Seoul High which, for some reason, was silent today. 

               It was a tranquil afternoon. 

               Minimal bustling chatters in the neighborhood. A minor amount of cars honking at the passers-by straying from the sidewalk to get them to move out of the way. Even the normally loud street vendors shouting catchy phrases to sell their products were just patiently waiting for customers to approach their stalls. 

               I was pleased.

               This was the kind of place that I wouldn’t mind walking around. 

               My gaze went upward when I felt a hand squeeze mine to see the owner who was looking ahead; a somewhat contented expression plastered on her face.

               It had been around five minutes since we left the campus and no one had yet to speak. Winter seemed fine with the silence, however, as she wasn’t showing any signs of wanting to engage in idle conversation. 

               “Where are you taking me?” I piped up, breaking the silence between us. 

               “I already told you, didn’t I?” 

                I tried to look around to search for that “someplace fun” where she was planning to take me only to find nothing in sight that piqued my interest. Now, I was starting to doubt if what she told me was true or she was just bluffing to get me to come with her. 

               “Could you be more specific?” 

               “Patience, babe.” She untangled our entwined hands and wrapped her arm around my waist, a habit of hers I had already grown accustomed to. “We’ll be there soon.” 

               I huffed. “You really do love spontaneous dates, don’t you?” 

               “It’s more fun that way.” She turned to me, pulling her lips to a toothy grin. “Not knowing how our dates are going to play out always has my blood pumping in exhilaration.”

               Ah.

               Slowly, I nodded my head. 

               I guess some points were made. 

               Planned dates feel too scripted sometimes.

               “What is the reason this time?” 

               “What do you mean?” 

               “For your impulsive decision of asking me out on a date,” I clarified. 

               “Well.” We made a turn to our right that led us to a dark, wide alleyway where plenty of students flock to every Friday once the school hours end to ease the stress that had accumulated over the past days. “I was bored.” 

               Oh. 

               I let out an amused chuckle. 

               She really always does whatever she wants.