No. 50: Systems Down

Start from the beginning

There's a chance he might not want to be rescued. Way to circumnavigate that: Kidnapping. Easy.

<<<<<<End of notes>>>>>>

"How you doing, Lo?"

Logan snapped his head up, quickly closing his notebook. "Just—just fine. I was just reviewing the plan."

Patton quirked an eyebrow. "You know that there's no way we can follow a detailed itinerary like our trips around Toronto, right?"

"It's not detailed exactly," Logan said, scratching the back of his neck. "It's essentially a skeleton of what we should do. We can't just barge in there without some form of plan, especially since there is a way it could be made so much easier," he added, looking pointedly at the third member of their party.

Jules folded his arms. "My powers are a last resort and they always will be. Give it up."

"Need I remind you that your brother is in danger? Doesn't that count as a last-resort situation?"

"Jesus Christ, I am not looking forward to how you're gonna be when you're in college," Jules muttered.

"Okay, Logan, let him be," Patton said, putting a hand on Logan's arm. "If Jules doesn't want to use his powers, then that's perfectly fine."

Logan grudgingly decided to drop it.

..................

As he had predicted, step one was the easiest. Logan's memory took care of most of it (of course), and Google Maps filled in the rest. In no time, they reached the estate—which meant it was time for step two.

"You have the crazy-genius grin on your face," Patton noted. "Should I be worried about the crazy-genius grin?"

"I'm worried about the crazy-genius grin," Jules said, edging away slightly. "He's not giving off good vibes."

Logan rested his hands on the wall, closing his eyes as he felt for what he needed.

Surveillance cams digital traps electroshock dome series of codes fingerprint scanners—WOW, they stepped up their game—alarms handheld weapons everything that could potentially stop us from getting in...

"Come down," Logan said aloud, clenching his fingers.

Several smashing noises came from inside of the estate, followed by confused shouting. In the small screen on the left-hand corner of Logan's glasses, the code to everything digital in the system fell apart.

"All right boys, it's safe to go inside," Logan announced, dusting off his jeans. "Well, not safe exactly, but we won't get electrocuted on our way in."

Jules blanched. "I'm sorry?"

"They're learning." He kicked the shattered remains of the lock out of the way and pushed open the front gate. "After you."

The three of them slipped on their invisibility rings (gifted by Roman after some light blackmailing) and walked up to the now-unlocked front door, slipping inside as discreetly as they could. A hand slipped into Logan's—probably Patton's.

"It's okay, Star," Logan whispered, squeezing it. "We're gonna get through this."

"Um... I know?" Patton's confused voice said from Logan's other side. "We're prepared?"

Instantly regretting all of his life decisions, Logan sighed. "Jules, please let go of my hand."

"Sorry," Jules whispered. "I really don't like being back here."