Chapter 14

We were in the car as Luther drove us to a road in the middle of nowhere "you know I never enjoyed it." Looking at Luther. I just looked out the window and didn't pay much attention. "What?" Luther asked. "The killing. I mean, I was... I was good at my work, and I... I took pride in it. But it never gave me pleasure." He said looking at me. I looked at him but quickly looked away.

"I think it was all those years alone. solitude can do funny things to the mind." Five said as he looked back at me. This time I looked at him and didn't look away. "Yeah, we'll, you were gone for such a long time. I only spent four years on the moon, but that was more than enough. It's the being alone that breaks you" Luther said.

"So you think they'll buy it? Luther said turning to me and then five changing the subject. "If there dumb enough." I said looking back out the window five looked at me and then back up front.

"Well, what I do know is that they're desperate. It's like a cop loosing his gun. If the commission finds out, they'll be in deep shit. Oh not to mention the fact that they'll be stuck here until they get it back." Five said. "Well, I should hold onto it. In case they make a move in you. " Luther replied looking at us.

"Okay, Luther but be careful. I mean we have lived long life's but your still a young man. You've got your whole life ahead of you. Don't waste it." Five said sincerely.

"And don't worry we can take care of ourselves." I told Luther looking at him and then five as a car approached. "Here we go." Five said as we all got out of the car.

"If this all goes sideways, tell Delores I'm sorry." Five said to Luther as I turned around so hard I did give myself whiplash this time. I rubbed my neck. As I glared at five and he chuckled.

We walked towards Hazel and cha-cha about halfway when five stopped. "What?" I said turning to look at him. "Five we hav-" I said but I was cut off as he grabbed my chin gently and kissed me. "If anything happens. I want you to know I love you." Five said as he pulled away. I stared at him a little shocked. 

Hazel and cha-cha walked up to us.

"Are the masks really necessary?" Five said as they came closer. Hazel and cha-cha took off their masks. "So we're is it, Kid?" Cha-cha asked five. "Wow, that's how you're gonna start. You know, we can get right back in our car and call it a day." Five said looking at me and then behind us to Luther who had the briefcase and was standing next to the car.

"You won't even make it halfway there." Cha-cha said pulling her gun out. "Maybe." Five said looking at me I pulled my gun out "now either put the gun down or we'll be on our merry way." I said pointing the gun at her smiling, so she did. "But as I'm sure you found out in your previous foray, our brother is not your average giant." Five said looking behind us at Luther and then at me signalling me to drop the gun. So I dropped it.

"He's right, you dropped a chandelier in him, got right back up." Hazel said looking at cha-cha. "By the time you take us out." Five said looking at me. "He'd smash your precious briefcase to a pulp. I said as cha-cha and five looked at me. "Probably us too, right? So how do we help each other?" Hazel asked us.

"We need you to get in contact with your superior so we can have a chat with her. Face to face." Five said "about what?" Cha-cha asked. "Well I don't believe that's any of your concern." Five said. "Just don't tell her about the briefcase" cha-cha said. "Fair enough." Five said as we looked at each other.

We walked away as cha-cha contacted their supervisor.

"What happens now?" Luther asked us. "Now we wait." Five replied as I sat down on the car with him. "So are we going to talk about it?" Luther asked.

I turned to look at him. "Talk about what?" Five asked annoyed. "The fact that you two kissed." Luther said plainly. "No" I told him looking away. "Ok." Luther said awkwardly.

I heard a sound coming from behind us as I turned to look behind us. I tapped five and the shoulder and he turned around to look. Klaus and Diego and Ben were driving an ice cream truck straight towards Hazel and cha-cha

I heard cha-cha say "it's a set-up!" And five pushed me to the ground and Luther threw himself in front of us as they started shooting at is. But they got hit by the ice cream truck. And a bullet came hurtling towards Luther but then everything stopped.

Five grabbed my hand and helped me up. "What's happening?" I asked confused. "Neat trick isn't it?" A voice asked us from behind.

We turned around to see a woman with white hair. "Hello five." The woman said not acknowledging me as we walked towards her. "You look good. All things considered. " She said and I glared at her.

"It's good to see you again." He said. A "feels like we met just yesterday. Course you were a little bit older then." She said turning to me "and number Eight we haven't had the pleasure of meeting. Five's told me all about you. I'm the Handler." She said. "Congratulations, on the age regression, by the way. Very clever. Threw us all off the scent." She said smiling.

"Ah, we'll, I wish I could take the credit. I just miscalculated the time dilation projections, and... we'll you know. Here I am." Five said throwing his hands up. "You realise your efforts are futile. So why don't you tell me what you really want?" The handler asked five.

"I want you to put a stop to it." Five said smirking. "You realise what your asking for is next to impossible, even for me. What's meant to be is meant to be." She said gesturing to me and five, as we looked at each other blushing a little.

"That's our raison d' être." The handler said softly. "Yeah? Well how about survival as a raison?" Five said pulling his gun out. "I'll just be replaced." The handler simply said and she threw her hand up. "I'm but a small cog in a machine."

She said optimistically. "This fantasy you've been nurturing about summoning up your family to stop the apocalypse...is just that.... A fantasy." She said looking at me. Is this bitch seriously talking about me?!

"I must say, though we're all quite impressed with your initiative, your stick-to-itiveness, really quite...quite something. Which is why we want to offer you a new position back at the commission, in management." The handler said putting her hand up as if to picture it "sorry,what's that now?" Five said as he chuckled a little bit. I saw he was interested and I got a little worried. I mean he wouldn't actually go right?

"Come back to work for us again. You know it's where you belong." She said stepping closer to five. "And y/n we've been watching you for a very long time and we're impressed, your powers are even greater than fives. You could be a great asset and an even greater weapon." She said turning to me. ""Well it didn't work out too well the last time. " five said keeping her at bay with the gun. "But you wouldn't be in the correction division any longer. I'm talking about the home office. You'd have the best health and pension. And an end to this ceaseless travel. Your a distinguished professional in.... Schoolboy shorts. We have the technology to reverse the process. I mean, you can't be happy like this." She said putting his gun down. I looked at him " I'm not looking for happy." He said as I looked away trying to avoid his gaze.

"We're all looking for happy. We can make that happen." She said caressing his face. " we can make you, you agin." She said pointing to him. "And what about my family?" He said looking at Luther and the truck. "What about them?" The handler said confused.

" I want them to survive." He said stepping a little bit closer to me. "All of them?" She asked looking straight at me. I raised an eyebrow and stepped forward but five grabbed my hand warning me not to.

"Yes all of them. " he told her. She put her sunglasses on and said "well I'll see what I can do. Do we have a deal?" She said putting her hand out. I turned to five "five are we actually going?" I asked him concerned. " well come back to them after the apocalypse." He said softly. I looked at him not convinced but nodded.

We turned to the handler and five said "one thing." And I turned to go move the bullet that was heading towards Luther and five emptied out their guns and threw them somewhere. We walked back over to the handler and we took her and and blinked away.