𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦

c

c. 3000 BC, URUK

    The sun had broken over the horizon, gleaming and ablaze with its radiance. Alekto and Makkari had been sat in the guard tower on the north wall since the wake of day, for their own individual reasons, but that never seemed to be a topic of conversation.

They never felt like they were obliged to share since they enjoyed each other's company.

Makkari never felt the need to tell Alekto how her mind was always running a mile a second for her to get a wink of sleep, and Alekto couldn't share the nightmares she would have to constantly relive if she closed her eyes.

A hand reached out to tap Alekto's shoulder, startling the girl.

"Your turn," Makkari signed as she pointed at the board game between them. They had been introduced to the game called Tawle from the settlement in Uruk.

Alekto proceeded to roll the dice, tongue poking out from the corner of her mouth in concentration as she moved her pieces along the board. She was fairly certain she'd lose; she always lost against Makkari.

Almost as soon as the thought came to her, Makkari waved her arms in triumph. "I won!" She signed with a wide smile though it immediately dropped when she noticed Alekto staring off into the distance.

The girl had been staring at the seven deviants charging towards the wall.

"Go wake the others," Alekto breathed out, her fingers shaking as she signed the words.

In a blink of an eye, Makkari was gone and so was Alekto.

The latter had reappeared on the dusty plains, ushering the farmers on the outskirts of the wall into safety.

There were very few days in which they were free from deviants. Alekto was beginning to think she'd pull a muscle from all the fighting and conflict.

When the first deviant made contact, Alekto had been ready with her fist at full density, swinging her arm as hard as she could.

The impact left was detrimental but not deadly.

She watched as the deviant launched to the side, crashing into the stalls.

Immediately, she felt horrible. They had spent days collecting materials to help build those stalls. Her head spun as she glared down at the monster.