She's sobbing. Absolutely losing it.

"Shut up!" She sobs into the phone. "Shut up! Shut up! You can't do that!"

I can't hear anything her dad is saying to her, but whatever it is is pissing me off to a point I didn't know was even possible.

"He's more my son than he has ever been yours! You are the biggest douche I have ever met! You think being home is going to help anythi... you're the one who—Stop saying that! You're not taking him, and I'm not going home!"

"I—please. I didn't mean what I said, Dad. Please."

"No, I... Dad, you don't understand!"

She pulls the phone away from her ear and lets out a sound that is a mixture of a scream and sob.

She tosses the phone who knows where, digging the heels of her hands into her eyes. I reach to wrap my arms around her, but she shoves me away, walking right past me and to her room.

"Summer? Summer." Not even a hum of acknowledgment.

I walk down the hall to find her shoving everything she can into her luggage. Tops, bottoms, bras, panties—everything is everywhere.

She's pulled her shoes out of their cubbies and now they're scattered around her room. I squeeze in next to her, folding everything as fast I can.

I just want to help, but she gives me a look that tells me she'll rip off my head if I don't move. Backing away, I watch her whole process. She's shaking, crying, and even mumbling things to herself every so often.

In a flash, she stalks up right up to me. Hope blooms in my chest, but she shoves me past the door frame, slamming the door in my face.

Okay, that's enough.

She needs her time to process what happens, but the way she is acting... she is me from years ago. And she doesn't want to push me away. I can see it in her eyes. And even if I'm wrong, I'm still going to stand here and wait like an idiot until she's ready to reach out to me.

I open her door and she whirls around, looking like she's going to smack the living shit out of me. Grabbing her wrist, I look her deep in the eyes and search the red, puffy things.

"Tell me what happened, Summer."

She can only keep up the mad act for so long. Her lip is trembling in a second and then she's breaking out into sobs again, her palm over her chest. Hiccups, boogers. This big, beautiful mess that I need to help her clean.

"H-he said that if I didn't come home with Mason, he'd come get him. That he wouldn't let me see him. S-something about a restraining order, I don't know. I think I blacked out."

I furrow my brows. "What?"

"He said that he wanted me home, too." She cries harder, moving to wrap her arms around herself, her head hung low. "I don't want to go home, Noah. But if I don't, he's going to take my Mason."

I wrap my arms around her, stroking her hair as she lays her head against my chest.

"I'm so sorry, Summer."

"I want to stay here forever. With you."

"Please don't. Your brother needs you." As long as Mason needs her, I don't matter here. She has to go and make sure he'll have someone if anything.

She nods against me. "You're my best friend and everything, but I would never choose you over my brother."

I smile at best friend. She was grinding against my dick earlier, so I can trust she means that in a non-platonic sort of way. At least I hope. Being BFF zoned the same day I get news I'm going to lose her? Could you imagine? Worst day ever.

"I know. And I love that." I laugh, giving her a quick squeeze before gesturing toward the crap she was stuffing into her bags. "Let me help you pack."

She nods, pulling away and sniffling.

I don't want her to go. Hell, I never want her to ever leave me. But I'll survive. She needs to focus on whatever is happening, she needs to go home and gets things sorted. Maybe become a master manipulator and force her dad to let her come back.

Except there would be no point because she was meant to be leaving with the rest of us at the end of the week.

Whatever comes of this, I just want her to have everything she needs. I don't know how I am included or if I will be included in her life after this. But things will work out they way they are meant to work out, and I have to trust that.

If she asks, I'll help with her dad. Talk to her, come over to hold her. I can only hope this isn't it.

This isn't it.

This isn't it.