"Look sir, I'm sorry I-"

"Thank you Niall." Dad gave him a smile of gratitude. "Thank you for taking care of her."

"I..." His eyes met mine. "We figured it out together." He felt like he couldn't take all the credit.

My heart swelled, my cheeks burned, I felt so incredibly happy that I almost forgot about my nerves.

"I guess you two have a wedding to get to don't you?" Dad looked at the watch on his wrist.

"We still have three hours." Niall frowned. "Right?"

"Right." I confirmed. "But I need to make a phone call. I may have done something a little reckless."

"What?" Niall's expression dropped. "This is not the time to be reckless. Not at all."

"I told Felicity." I bit down on my cheek, waiting for people to shout at me.

"You told her?" Dad stepped away from me.

"I told her to flee!" I defended myself. "I didn't want to risk her or Brielle getting hurt. It's all I have left of Adam. I told them that they'd be protected at the precinct."

"You can't promise them that." Niall looked at me in disappointment.

"We're police officers Horan." I told him with a serious tone in my voice. "If we can't offer them protection then we're doing our job wrong."

His eyes lowered, then he nodded. He knew I was right.

"That's my girl." I felt a pat on my back. It was my Dad. I couldn't shake the feeling of him actually being alive. "I knew you'd make a good cop."

"You knew?" I furrowed my eyes in confusion.

"I left you with my mother, kid, there was no way you weren't going to be a cop." He stifled a laugh. "But you better go make that phone call before it's too late."

"Right." I searched for my phone in my pockets. I pulled it out and dialled the precinct's number. It rang a few times, then I heard a warming, familiar voice.

"Carter?"

"Hi Malik." I let out a breath.

"What's the matter? Are you okay?" He sounded as if he were working on something else while he was speaking with me.

"I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment." I admitted. "But I called to let you know that there are two people from the McBride house that will arrive at the precinct soon, looking for safety."

"Who? Are they criminals? Are they dangerous?" Malik's attention was brought to our conversation.

"Neither." I assured him. "They're innocent. It's a child and her mother."

"We can't just say they're innocent-"

"But I know that they are." I interrupted him.

"I'm sure you know that they'll still have to go on trial, so I'll trust your judgement."

"All I'm asking is for them to be able to get away from the danger."

"And we can assure that." Malik said surely. "I need you to stay calm here Carter, this is a big day for you."

"Yes sir." I nodded.

"I will see you in a few hours." Malik said to me before finally hanging up.

"So?" Niall looked at me expectantly.

"They'll take them in." I confirmed. "But we have to get moving." I started bustling around the room, making sure I had everything with me. "We need to talk to Harry, I've already spoken to Malik and Payne, they know where they're supposed to be." I turned to face my father. "And you-" I pointed to him. "You need to get back on surveillance, who knows what you may have missed."