"You've been in California this whole time?" My voice quivered. "You lived one state away and didn't even bother to visit?"

"You thought I was dead, how could I-"

"So you thought it was a good idea to just leave your only daughter believing she had nobody?" I hissed. "You have a family that's still alive Ben! You have a granddaughter who lost her father, and a daughter who lost everyone!" My anger was boiling in my veins. I was so mad at my deadbeat Dad who left me for eighteen years.

"I was doing it for your safety Ophelia."

"You decided to be absent for my safety?! Or is this just what Dads do? They leave their daughters to fend for themselves?"

"I'm sorry I-"

"I don't care." I stood, I couldn't take anymore of it. "I have an invasion to organise." I stomped off to the bedroom where I was planning on calling Malik. I slammed the door behind me. I had to move on with this case. I could worry about my relationship with my father later. I was about to dial the precinct's number when I heard Niall speak through the other side of the door.

"You know she's really been through a lot." His muffled voice said to Ben. "You really hurt her."

"I didn't- I never wanted to hurt her." Ben's voice came out sad, quivering almost. "I just didn't want to risk the idea of her being in danger."

"She was alone, Ben." He sounded so disappointed. "I wish you could've met her when I did. I'd never met a person so cold."

What?

"She was mean, she was bossy, she hated my guts because I was kind to her. All she wanted was power, but all she needed was somebody to love her." Niall said quietly. "She was this rock hard shell of a human because she only had herself, she could only rely on herself, could only cry to herself. Do you understand that she became that person because of you?"

"I thought she would've found someone by the time my mother died." Ben replied quietly.

"She was too busy looking for you." Niall replied hastefully. "But you are so goddamn lucky that I found your daughter first. My theory was right Ben, all she needed was a little love. She became the most fearless, most intelligent, sweetest, funniest, woman I have ever met. All because someone cared to notice."

"I know I messed up." Ben sighed. "I just- I want to fix things. I want to be a part of her life. I want to help her. Giving up your child is the hardest thing to do. I've never felt worse pain. Part of me still can't believe that she's not a little eight year old reading Nancy Drew books in the basement." He let out a small laugh. "She's my only daughter. I want to know my little girl."

Then I had a completely raw and true thought:

I wanted to know my Dad.

My body moved without thinking. I opened the door again, tears filling my eyes. I knew that this wasn't a smart choice, but I knew it was a choice that would make me happy.

"Ophelia?" Ben's gaze shifted to me, looking hopeful.

"Dad." My lip quivered as I moved closer to him. He stood, then held his arms out towards me. This was all I'd ever wanted for the past eighteen years. I wanted to hug my Dad again, and here he was. My body melted into his, and his arms wrapped around me. I hadn't felt his warm embrace in almost eighteen years. The last time I hugged him, I was only as tall as his waist, now I could comfortably rest my head on his chest. "I missed you."

"I missed you more, Philly Pop." He laid a hand on the back of my head. Then, he pulled away and looked at Niall. I could see Niall stiffen up noticeably. He thought he was going to get yelled at.