So far I've managed to spill three coffees on the  floor and I've only been here for an hour.

The last one caused Jack to sigh very loudly and leave me alone to go sit in his office and stare at his wall. He is probably contemplating why he hired me in the first place and even gave me a raise.

Which means I am now on my own and now have to pick up the pace.

I smile as people keep walking in, taking their names and remembering them, their faces and their orders perfectly before I go back and make coffees, hot chocolates, pastries and more.

By the time there is finally a break in the long line of people, it's nearly been four hours since I got here, meaning it's almost closing time. 

The café is usually open from 6:00 am to 10:00pm. I got out of school at 4:00pm so I just had two hours left with it being around 8:00pm.

I go check on the people at the tables, making  sure they are good and happy.

Most are but some want a refill, which I happily give them before I go back to the counter and wait for more costumers.

The bell rings again and I look up to see several people enter, but my smile widens when I realize Hazel is one of them.

I quickly take the orders of two more people and get them their coffee and a cheese danish before I make a cup of hot chocolate.

Not needing to ask her what she wants still hurts a little bit, but it's fine. She doesn't have to like coffee I guess.

"One hot chocolate for the girl who hates coffee to spite her best friend," I say setting it down in front of her.

She rolls her eyes at my comment but smiles, "So, how was your first day?" She asks, causing me to look back to make sure everyone is taken care of and Jack isn't coming to watch before I sit down across from her.

"Pretty good. I love my art teacher, soccer tryouts are next week, my history teacher and my calculus teacher both already hate me, my chemistry teacher seems cool, and I still suck at french." I fill her in before I add, "But I have Tim in calculus so it's okay."

Her eyebrows raise at this, "You and Tim have classes together?"

"Yeah, we have calculus, chemistry and english together." I supply absentmindedly as I play with a salt shaker, tilting it to watch the grains move back and forth.

She only hums in response, causing me to look up to her before I say, "I appreciate you checking in."

Her eyes soften at that, making me look away, "Of course."

I don't look at her again before I get up, "I'm going to get your more marshmallows. If you are going to ignore the goodness of coffee, you are going to at least do it with marshmallows."

I don't really want her pity. She is the only one who really knows how absent my parents are, but that doesn't mean I want her looking at me that way. It's not her fault, but...

She doesn't reply as I go to get the marshmallows and put them in a cute little bowl before I start walking back to her, only to find Tim and Stephanie sitting with her.