Chap 12- Settling things

Shravan was getting dressed for school when his phone rang. It was a call from Kanchan.

"Hello Kanchan," he said on receiving the call.

"Good morning Shravan," she said," I am sorry to disturb you so early in the morning but I really need your help with my Maths homework. Can you please help me out over breakfast. Only two questions are there."

"Sure Kanchan. But why isnt Suman helping you out? She is an expert at Maths as well."

"Well," said Kanchan, " she isnt talking to me."

"What!" said Shravan, " but why?"

"She is participating in that army quiz because she wants to hold the torch on the day of the parade on winning that quiz. Aneesh was asking her to backout because she is a girl and I kind of agreed with him."

"You agreed with him?" he said shocked beyond belief, " but why?"

"Because I dont get it," said Kanchan, " I dont get it why Suman is so obsessed with that torch. I mean we have rangoli making competition, basketball matches, singing and acting competition and other sports for girls. Then why does she want to participate in this quiz? It only pisses off the rest of the boys of the school and some of them are damn cute."

" Well Kanchan," he said tryinng to put some sense into her tiny head, "boys who consider girls less deserving than them are not cute but idiots! And Sumo has every right to be angry with you for agreeing with that jerk!"

Kanchan was combing her hair while having this conversation with Shravan and the phone had been on speaker all this while. Suman had just walked out of the washroom and heard what Shravan had said. A soft smile appeared on her face.

"Its not just about that torch," Shravan continued, "its about choices and decisons. If Suman has chosen to participate, then who the hell is that Aneesh to pass any judgements on her?"

"Had I been there, I would have.................." Shravan stopped speaking for a moment. He realised that his body had become tense with anger. But why was he feeling angry?

"Okay, I get it," said Kanchan picking up the phone from speaker mode," so are you coming over for breakfast or shall I?"

"Invite him over!" Suman whispered.

"Well Shravan, it would be nice if you would come. Mom and dadu will be really pleased."

" All right," said Shravan, " just five more minutes."

Suman rushed into the kitchen and warmed up some milk. She then broke some dark chocolate into pieces and put it into the grinder. She took out some cream from the fridge and began to whip it.

" Mr. Shravan Malhotra," she said to herself," I do hope that his hot chocolate will sweeten that bitter tongue of yours. As it is, we are partners for the quiz now. I can do that much for you at least."

Suman was grateful that there was someone who understood her afterall. Someone who wasnt like others. Someone who...................She heard Shravan's voice coming from the living room and quicly poured the hot chocolate into a cup.

Kanchan walked into the kitchen to pick up breakfast.

"Dont you dare tell him I made it," she said handing Kanchan two cups of hot chocolate. I am still angry with him about what he said about me and Aneesh."

"Then why did you make hot chocolate for him?" asked Kanchan.

" Because...........Come on Kanchan, just go now please."

"Hmm," said Kanchan, "hot chocolate for the hottie. Seems good."

Suman gave her an angry look and shooed her away.