Chap 3- Hidden sorrow

The Army Public School in Bhopal was well known for its discipline and ethics. Suman had been studying there from a very young age. She knew the significance of discipline and honesty. She disliked people who broke rules and told lies.

As she walked into the school campus, she saw her classmates Anish and Devika. Suman greeted them with a warm smile.

"Hello Suman," said Anish," where is Kanchan today?"

"She is not well," Suman replied.

"O dear!" said Devika," I guess this weather is not a very pleasant one."

"Anyways," said Anish," did you hear the latest announcement?"

"What announcement?" Suman asked him.

"Every year," said Anish," we students are divided into five sections. Grades 1-3 for students from army families and grades 4 and 5 for civilian students."

"But this time," said Devika," the grades will be a mixture of students from army background and those from civilian background. Thats pathetic."

"I dont think it should affect us," said Suman," how does it even matter?"

"Come on Suman," said Anish," they are not the same as us."

"I know," said Suman," but my papa always says that a person's destiny is not determined by their birth chart or family background. He says that me being a daughter of an army officer does not make me entitled to the army uniform. What will make me achieve this honor is my sincerity and dedication. There are so many things they can learn from us and even we will get to have a whole new experience with them."

"I doubt," said Anish sounding frustrated.

"As it is," he continued," you girls will never know the difference. Men have served in the army and we know the difference between soldiers like us and civilians like them."

Suman was badly hurt by his words. Never in her life had her family made her feel that she wasnt capable of something or she didnt deserve something just because she was a girl. When she had told her dadu that she wanted to serve in the army, he had gifted her a stethoscope and said," My child, until the Indian army has other posts for women, go and treat those who get wounded in the battle. It will be the greatest service."

"I need to leave," said Suman hiding her tears," I have to issue some books from the library."

Saying so, she walked away from them.

"Kanchan keeps asking me why I am so stubborn about not dating anyone,"Suman said to herself," Thats the reason. None of these boys know how to be a support system for girls. All they know is how to make us feel inferior."

"But why not Avni," Shravan was talking to his sister while taking off his shoes," you must participate in the hockey match if you want to."

"Because its an all boys team," she said sounding very upset," I dont think they will let me play."

"Since when did sports start having a gender?" Shravan said," go for the practice Avni. Once the coach sees you playing, there is no one who can stop you from playing."