Chap 4- New rivals

"As it is, you girls will never know the difference." Anish's bitter words were still echoing in Suman's ears. It was 9pm, almost an hour past dinner time in the Tiwari house. Kanchan, being unwell had gone straight to bed after taking her medicine. Suman's mother was busy in preparing the exam papers for the students while her chachu and chachi were enjoying a game of carrom with dadu.

Suman wanted to cry out loud but she was afraid of waking up Kanchan. She so wanted to share her feelings with someone. She got up and walked into the balcony adjacent to her room.

"And may I know, why have you chosen this room?" Devraj asked Shravan.

"Because," said Shravan," it has a balcony attached to it and the view from there is beautiful!"

"Seems a pretty nice excuse," said Devraj," I know the real reason. The balcony has a direct connection with the back door of the house. It will give you the freedom to come out and go in without anyone noticing. You are not staying in this room!"

"Come on papa," said Shravan in a pleading voice," you brought me here from Delhi, I had to leave my school, my friends behind. I didnt say a word. Now cant I even have the room of my choice?"

"All right," said Devraj," you can stay here. But I am getting the back door locked."

"My bad luck!" said Shravan once Devraj had left," That backdoor was like that brick wall which led Harry potter to board the train to Hogwarts!"

"Never mind," he said drinking some water," At least this room is way bigger and more beautiful than that in our last house."

He decided to go out into the balcony to get some fresh air.

Suman was standing in her balcony and admiring the night sky when a gentle breeze blew past her.

"What lovely weather!" she whispered rubbing her palms together," I wonder why people dislike winters so much."

Her father's army jacket was hanging there as well. Damroo had washed it in the afternoon and it was now sparkling clean. Suman removed the clothes peg from it and wrapped it around herself.

"One day," she said," I too will earn this uniform. No matter what anyone says, I have faith that...................."

Her thoughts were disturbed someone talking in a very loud voice.

"I cant believe this Bunty!" Shravan was literally shouting on the phone," You guys are moving to Bhopal too! And that too by next week! My dear friend, I am so so happy."

Suman looked at Shravan and thought,"At least, someone is happy tonight."

Suddenly, the army jacket dropped from her hands and fell straight to the ground.

"Papa's jacket!" she said worriedly and rushed out to get it.

No one noticed her walk out through the main door. She reached her garden where the jacket had fallen and picked it up quickly. She turned around to go back when she saw Shravan walk out of his house through the back door.

"Thank God," said Shravan locking the door," Jhumri didi forgot to lock this door today. I was getting so bored in there. Let me explore the neighbourhood at least."

"Where is he going so late at night?" she thought," And that too, through a secret exit."

Whether it was her concern for him or just her curiosity, Suman decided to follow him.

Shravan turned to the left and began walking at a faster pace. Suman walked behind him. She had worn the jacket, zipped it up and even covered her hair with the hood.

Shravan stopped at a tea stall and bought a cup of tea.

He took a sip and said to the vendor,"This is really great. Thank you."

Just as he was about to take another sip, he felt a sudden push and the tea fell straight to the ground. Shravan turned around to see who it was.

"So you are the new civilian here," said Anish looking him straight in the eye.

"Yes," said Vedant, Anish's cousin," He is the one."

Shravan didnt understand why he was suddenly being troubled by an unknown group of boys.

"What are you civilians doing in our army colony?" Anish asked in anger grabbing Shravan's collar.

Suman was watching all this hiding behind a tree.

"I knew that this boy will get himself into trouble," she thought," what do I do now?"

"Whats with this civilian and army thing?" Shravan asked Anish.

Anish was about to punch him when Suman all covered up in the army jacket, hiding her face with a handkerchief wrapped around her nose and mouth, walked past them.

Assuming the person to be an army officer, Vedant said," We must leave Anish. I dont want to get into any trouble."

Anish left Shravan's collar and said,"This tea stall or any other place in this colony is banned for civilians. Dare not come here again!"

Saying so, the boys walked away leaving behind a confused Shravan.