16 - Je Suis Une Amie

Start from the beginning

"I'm not quitting the team, I just have this the thing." Spencer said, as Katherine sat down in Ian's chair and spun herself around a few times.

"You can't avoid me. I live in your backyard." Ian said.

"Well, this isn't about you. Look, I'm too concentrated in athletics and it doesn't look good on my college applications so I just need to balance out my schedule." Spencer said.

"Knock, knock." Melissa said, opening the door and stepping inside.

"Hey, Melissa." Katherine said, still spinning herself.

"Hey." Ian said.

"Sorry to interrupt." Melissa said.

"I thought you had a marketing seminar." Ian said.

"The professor cancelled. I brought the tile samples. The contractor needs a decision." Melissa said.

"Oh, great." Ian said.

"I like those ones on top, they're cute." Katherine said, stopping the chair and facing everyone.

"Bye." Spencer said, trying to get out of the room.

"I think your sister's quitting the team." Ian said, as Spencer walked out.

"Why?" Melissa asked, before Spencer could get away.

"I'm not quitting the team. I'm just doing some tutoring." Spencer said.

"Well, anyone in particular?" Ian asked.

"Toby Cavanaugh." Spencer said.

"What, Spence, you can't be serious. You constantly criticize me for being friends with him." Katherine said.

"Well, that's changed." Spencer said.

"What?" Melissa and Ian asked, simultaneously.

"I signed up to help him with his French." Spencer said.

"I can't believe that this school would let anyone near him, especially alone." Melissa said.

"Hold on, Kat, you said you're friends with him?" Ian asked.

"Well, yeah." Katherine said.

"Spence, why are you doing this?" Ian asked.

"Kat, why are you friends with him?" Melissa asked.

"I already told you." Spencer said.

"He's not what everyone thinks." Katherine said.

"What is this really about? That kid murdered one of your best friends." Melissa asked.

"I think he's innocent." Katherine said.

"Don't tell me you two are falling for that silent martyr crap. Okay, you can't believe a thing that creep says." Ian said.

"Well, Toby Cavanaugh hasn't cornered the market on lying." Spencer said. "I better go."

"Katherine, stay away from Toby Cavanaugh. He's dangerous." Melissa said.

"We just want you to be safe because we care about you." Ian said.

...

"No fucking way." Katherine said, walking into the Hastings home. "You were actually teaching him French? I was worried that you'd get all Spencery."

"Well, we said a few things in French and I gave him a book." Spencer said.

"So, you did get all Spencery." Katherine said.