Chapter 20-

Slowly the sound of the horde got closer. The walkers' growls and snarls getting louder with each passing second until you could finally see them.

It didn't take long for the horde to reach the makeshift blockade and the group of you all quickly rushed forward and started taking them out one by one while they were stuck behind the blockade.

You stabbed your sword through skull, after skull, after skull, Daryl swinging his Morningstar, bashing in their heads beside you.

You could hear everyone grunting as you all worked as a team, taking the walkers down one after the other. The more you killed, the more that kept coming, but you didn't give up.

"The fence isn't going to hold!" Someone further down the line shouted.

Yeah, he was probably right. But, while it was still holding, you were going to keep killing them while they were trapped. You swung your sword again, slicing the head off the next when suddenly you were all sprayed with something wet. What looked to be balls of liquid flew through the sky, drenching you all and stinging your eyes.

"It smells like a Christmas tree!" Jerry's voice shouted.

You blinked it away and continued stabbing the walkers, not giving the liquid much thought when suddenly fire arrows soared through the sky in your direction, hitting the fence and instantly lighting it up.

What the fuck?

Suddenly, someone started to scream, and you spun around to find the person completely on fire and you came to a very bad realisation of what the liquid was.

Oh, God.

"It's like gasoline!" You shouted, your eyes locking with Daryl's panicked ones.

They could literally just light you all on fire right now if more of those arrows came.

Fuck.

"Get back inside!" Daryl yelled, coming to the same conclusion.

Everyone instantly started sprinting back to Hilltop, just as the blockade gave way, the walkers spilling out behind you.

Just as you were about to reach the gate to Hilltop, arrows suddenly shot straight past you and before your very eyes, the walls of Hilltop went up in flames, trapping the group of you between fire and the dead.

Oh, this was not going to end well.

"Get through the gate before the flames take over!" Someone shouted and nobody needed to be told twice before you all sprinted through the open gate, narrowly missing the flames.

By the time you got inside the walls of Hilltop, everything was on fire.

The trailers. The barns. The sheds. Even Barrington House was burning.

The walkers followed you inside though, but there was no time to dwell over it as you continued fighting.

You lost track of how many you killed as you swung your sword. You kicked the nearest walker away from you about to cut its head off with your blade when you caught site of Judith out the corner of your eye, killing walkers with her katana.

Whoa, what the fuck?

You saw Ezekiel a few minutes ago rounding up the kids and getting them out of here. What the hell was she still doing here?

Without thinking, you sprinted over to her just as she stabbed a walker through the legs, but the walker screamed out in pain.

Oh, shit. Shit. It was a Whisperer.

"No, please, please don't." The Whisperer begged, falling to the ground as he looked up at Judith who stabbed her katana through his stomach causing the Whisperer to cry out in pain.