LXI

F A L L O N

"Even though we're goin' through and it makes you feel alone, just know that I would die for you. Baby, I would die for you."

. . .

Monday morning, Nicholas walked me to campus again and picked me up later that night. Instead of going to my apartment, he's taking me to his.

He owns a penthouse – of course.

The first thing to meet my eyes when I enter the foyer is the huge living room and New York's skyline.

The windows stretch out to the balcony, and they're incredibly high.

The living room stretches out to the open-plan kitchen and then to the balcony, which takes my breath away.

The balcony is twice the size of my bedroom back in San Francisco, with columns and couches and everything to top it off.

Returning my gaze back to the living room, I notice a black, grand piano standing by the window.

"You play?" I ask him and meet his eyes. He shakes his head. "My sister does," he explains.

My first thoughts go to Aurora. He must see the confusion on my face.

"Elena," he adds with a chuckle, clarifying.

There's a staircase on the other side of the room, with beneath it a door and then another hallway. "This place is huge," I murmur.

"You haven't seen all of it," he replies and takes my hand, guiding me to the couch. "I ordered some dinner, I'm in no mood to cook tonight," he sighs and takes a seat, pulling me down with him.

I snuggle into him on the couch and relax into him. We sit like this for a few minutes, just enjoying each other's presence in silence.

"Nicholas," I begin, and he turns his head. "Hmm?"

"Have you talked to Stella before you came here?" I ask.

"Yeah, she came by my house to pick up a few things of hers," he answers. I'm glad that he's being honest with me.

"And?" I ask and tilt my head a bit so I can get a better look at him. "We talked a bit. Reminisced on the past. It was nice and not hate-filled," he explains, and I can tell he's at peace with it.

"You think she's still angry?" I frown. Of course, she must be angry. What a fucking dumb question.

"I think she's more hurt than anything else. But if I were to stay with her, that'd cause a lot more hurt. I realized I was never truly in love with her and that my feelings for you were much more intense."

I sit up, meeting his eyes. He lifts his hand to stroke away a strand of hair.

"When did you realize your feelings for me?" I ask.

I don't know when I knew I was in love with him. I just knew that I loved the way I felt when I was with him.

That he made me feel butterflies all the time and I grew addicted to his touch and attention.

"When I started looking for you in her."

He cups my cheek and pulls me in for a slow, and sweet kiss.

Melting against him, I kiss him back with equal fervor.

I don't know for how long we remain on the couch, just kissing and getting drunk on each other's presence.

Nicholas doesn't give me a tour of the whole penthouse, only drags me up the stairs and down the hallway to his room.

His room is large, with black curtains, sheets, and pillows. Everything is dark in here and made out of wood.