XLIX

F A L L O N

"Is it love when you so easily said goodbye? Is it love, when we've given up before we tried, hmm? Is it love, when you stole my piece of mind? Is it love, when you cry and cry and cry?"

. . .

Dad and I spent the whole day in my room, talking and watching some shows on my laptop. He showed me how to work my iPad and installed some useful apps on it, for me to use in college.

When the evening is nearing, dad asks me where I want to go to.

"I want to go back to New York," I tell dad, and I see sadness take place in his eyes. "That far, huh?" he asks with a sad smile.

"I had to go back sometime, I go to college there," I half-shrug. But I feel horrible that I'm going to leave dad like this.

Because I want to keep on being in his presence, and have him always there with me. I don't feel like leaving his side. But I also don't feel like staying in this house anymore.

"Okay then, darling. I'll book you a flight," dad promises.

We have an apartment in New York, which is where I live when I go to college.

"Thank you, dad," I whisper and snuggle closer to him. "Don't tell mom, though," I add.

"Fallon..." he starts, but I sit up and shake my head. "No, she doesn't need to know. I feel like she's becoming a stranger to me. In fact, I don't want anyone to know I'm leaving. I just want some peace."

My voice breaks on the last word, and I realize that maybe I don't deserve peace after what I've done. But I've got to live with it.

"Alright," dad says, "you're twenty-one and allowed to do whatever you want. I don't really want to talk to her, anyway."

I stare up at him with a weak smile, and then realize how tired I am.

"Well, I'm going to sleep now," I say and sit up, getting out of his embrace and yawning.

"Okay, little one. I'll book you a ticket right away," he says and gets up, pressing a soft kiss to my forehead. "Goodnight."

When he's out of my room, I take my phone and see that I've received a message from Nicholas.

He's asked me to meet up so we can talk, but I decide to leave him on read, instead.

Should've reached out to me a few days ago.

Taking a quick shower and changing into a fresh pair of pajamas, I get in bed and take my phone once again.

The only other person I'd want to know that I'm gone, is Donia. She's the only other reason why I'd hesitate to leave, because she's become a best friend to me and I love her so much.

Throughout the years, we still kept in touch when we were in college. But after this summer, I want to have her around more often.

Donia texts me back, saying that she'll come by tomorrow.

Satisfied, I turn off my phone and put it on the nightstand, before rolling over and gazing at the ceiling.

It's weird to think about the fact that before this summer, Stella and I were best friends.

I've always considered her my best friend since I grew up with her, even though I was younger than her.

But she always took care of me, and that made me adore her and see her as a big sister that I've always wanted.

Though we never saw each other that often when she went off to college, she always made sure to spent a lot of time with me when she was home.

All of that is gone now, though.