chapter 30

Evangeline was laying down on her bed, unable to sleep. The idea of bringing Regulus back was still vibrant in her mind. Sirius's words stuck with her all throughout the day and night, replaying on and on. The desire to bring Regulus back was more powerful and intense than the rational voice inside her head who would whisper 'Such thing would bring destruction on all!' But she did not care. She wanted to be happy, even if her happiness meant doing something crazy.

She stayed up all night, thinking and thinking. She could not stop, put her brain on pause. She wanted it, she desired it, but she knew it was hard to do such thing. It would require tremendous help and work. She was a Muggle, what power did she have? She had none.

She felt like she was going insane. She locked herself up in the bedroom, not opening her blinds, staying under the covers. She felt with every passing second her sanity slipping away, faster than a swirling river. She wished Sirius would not have said those words to her, but what was done could not be undone.

A knock on her door pulled her out of her trance. She did not want to see anybody.

'Mum, are you in there?' Draco's voice brought her back to reality.

'Yes!' she said weakly.

'Could I come in?' the boy asked, but his mother did not answer. He instead still opened the door and walked into the bedroom. When he saw the room, he knew it. The thought possessed her. He walked to the windows and opened the blinds. 'Mum, this is not healthy...' Draco sighed.

He walked towards the bed and set down.

'I am all right,' lied Evangeline.

'Mum, I like to believe that I know you well enough to notice when you are not feeling fine,' Draco commented, 'and this, mum, is not you feeling all right.'

Evangeline sighed and sat upon the bed, her back against the headboard.

'Want me to bring you some breakfast?' Draco asked his mother.

Evangeline shook her head.

'You should be packing your trunk for Hogwarts,' Evangeline whispered.

'I am not leaving for Hogwarts until I know you are well, mum,' Draco explained.

Evangeline burst out into tears, Draco hugging her.

'I miss him, my little star,' Evangeline whispered through her fast breaths.

'I know, mum, I know...' Draco whispered reassuringly.

As soon as Evangeline calmed down, Draco stood up from the bed and went downstairs to the kitchen to grab his mother a spot of breakfast. He found Sirius in the kitchen, drinking his own coffee.

'I hope that you are happy,' Draco told his uncle.

'What is going on?' asked Sirius.

'She is not all right!' yelled Draco. 'And that is all due to your words! You put those thoughts in her head and now she is depressed. All she thinks about is my father.'

'Draco, take a seat, please,' Sirius told his nephew.

'What for?! So, you can tell me the same things you have told her?! So, you can bring me to the same mental state you brought her?!'

'What I told her was all true,' Sirius told Draco.

'My father is dead! Voldemort was just a mare spirit!' Draco pointed out.

'We could still bring him back! I saw him. He was there, in a cave, begging for his life, for help.'

'Is this your guilt getting back at you?' Draco asked.

'He talked to me, Draco. Told me everything.'

'That is bloody insane! What you are talking about is nonsense!'

'Do you ever wonder what your life could have been like if Regulus did not die?!' Sirius asked.

'I do not waste my life thinking about those stupid "What if..." s. I am happy with the life I have, the things I have experienced. Because those things made me who I am today. A half-blood who thought to be a pure-blood for his whole life, who held prejudices against those like him, who belittled those like him. I am happy with the things I have been through. They have made me stronger and less ashamed of who I am,' said Draco. 'And if you feel ashamed with who you are and the choices you have made, you should rethink your life, uncle Sirius.'