Family Ties

I needed to help Rick and returned to Azazel's place alone. It didn't seem like he was home yet, but I knew looks could be deceiving. Azazel was definitely full of surprises. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to return. The gnome had taught me a lot about power control through meditation. It was insanely boring but very helpful. I didn't feel out of control anymore. I felt more like myself, or at least the version of me I was trying my best to become.

I made my way through the house to see if Rick was okay and if there was a way I could smuggle him away. The door to his basement cell was wide open. I rushed inside and made a quick glance to all the lit areas that I could see from the bottom of the stairs, but he wasn't there.

"Looking for someone?" Azazel emerged from the shadows in a stream of smoke that poured into the form of the man. His eyes were glowing red and no longer held the look of hopeful acceptance. His face seemed to hold more shade and angles than I remembered but still beautiful. "Where have you been, my darling daughter?" Even his voice had changed from the sweet and sultry cadence to a more accusing and sinister tone.

"Where is he?" I wasn't afraid. I should have been. I could feel that he had more power than he did before.

"Where is who?" he asked innocently.

"You know who."

"Are you looking for your dear brother?" He chuckled. "Either of them? Both of them?" He slowly made his way to me. "Because the answer is the same."

"I'm looking for Rick." I stood my ground. My lack of fear was astounding but I knew there was no time for me to rejoice in my newfound courage. I knew he would attack if given the chance. "Did you kill Rick?"

"You're so focused on your little friend that you aren't asking the right questions." He had stepped into my space and wrapped his arms around me whispering in my ear. "Don't you want to know what happened to your brothers?"

I turned to face him. "I know what happened, and even if I didn't I wouldn't want to know because you're so intent on teasing me with the knowledge." I pushed him away. "You want to upset me. You want me to lose control."

He laughed. "I see that I can no longer manipulate you. It seems you have gained considerable control over your powers as well." His eyes locked with mine. "That's excellent."

He surprised me. He reached out and grabbed my arm with a tight grip. I could feel my demonic powers vibrating inside of me once again. They started bouncing all over. It was almost too much for the witch—almost. I pulled away from him and sent him flying back into the ground.

"I'm not your puppet, Dad." I circled him like a buzzard. "But from what I found out about my mother's magic, I should be able to control you. That's why you want it, isn't it? The only power left in the universe that can not only keep you at bay, but it can also destroy you."

"Someone has been spreading lies." He stood. "So many lies."

"I'm sure someone has."

He locked eyes with me once more and then crossed his arms behind him. Rick walked into the light.

"Rick!" I wanted to grab him and just run away but wasn't sure if I was fast enough to get away with it. I might not have been fast enough, but Squeak was. The moment I thought of her, she appeared landing nimbly on my shoulder, but she was growling.

"Seems she knows something that you don't." Azazel never took his eyes away from me. "What could it be, I wonder?"

"Rick?" I took a step back. He should've run to me by now. He should've said something or tried to attack Azazel or something. "Rick, what's going on?"

"I'm so sorry, Princess. I can never go against... my master."

"Your master?"

"Remember what I said before?" Azazel took great pleasure in my sudden sadness. "His family line follows me. That fierce, protective loyalty you're so in love with is the very reason I chose them to watch out for my hybrid offspring." He circled behind me. "I find the power I want, seduce the user, incubate and manipulate the magic inside the host, and then I just take it all back inside of me." He whispered into my ear. "And that is what happened to your brothers."

I pushed away ignoring him. All I saw was Rick. "Tell me you can resist him. Tell me you and Ashe are strong enough to fight him." I gravitated towards him ignoring the warning in my head, even ignoring the growing growls coming from Squeak.

His smile broke my heart. "Not even if we tried." He reached out for me when I was in range and held me in a familiar embrace. He then turned me to face Azazel.

"So you just walked right into it then?" Azazel said. "I actually didn't expect that. It's sort of depressing really. I was hoping for more sport from the Howe family line. Oh well, I guess I should just absorb you and put you out of your misery."

"I'm still not your willing puppet." I could feel the tears burning behind my eyes. "I'll be the one to absorb you."

He held out his arms so I could see the energy vibrating through him, but something about it was familiar. Not because of the demon. The familiar energy looked similar to my own witch energy but weaker, much weaker.

"You see what I have done now?" He was smug. "Morgan absorbed all the power of that baby, and with it, all the love baby would've had for you." He walked over so he could speak directly in my ears. "Morgan absorbed the baby's hopes, his dreams for the future, and so much love for his big sister... and I had power enough to destroy it all."

I struggled in Rick's grasp a little, but my heart wasn't in fighting anymore. It was broken so much in such a small amount of time, I just didn't see the point of trying. It was the moment Azazel was waiting for. He reached out and grabbed my arm again. My power vibrated around me and then, like so many things before, they abandoned me.