The Other Side

I woke up in a dark room. I couldn't even see my own body. I felt around searching for answers. Did I really just say yes? Energy flows around everything all the time, and dark energy has its own vibrations. It's the embodiment of desire, the pull of greed, and it felt so good.

I pulled the covers from around me and tentatively placed my feet on the floor. Seemed I was in a bed. From a standing position, I could see light coming from under a door. I walked over to it and felt around for the knob. Once the door was opened, a flood of light filled my eyes. It took a moment to adjust. Was I alone?

I wandered carefully down the unfamiliar hallway. I was unsteady and used the wall for balance. Why couldn't I remember? It was like my whole life so far was slowly slipping away, memories of good deeds and friends became more like something from a dream. I only remembered feelings here and there. The idea of trying to be perfect for almost seventeen years, feeling the pressure that something wasn't right, and then suddenly feeling complete with the addition of my father's power were all I knew. So much so that the thought of going back to being such a goodie good was the farthest thing from my mind. I wanted to see what I could do with this.

I followed the sound of voices until I came into a room. My father and brother sat around the living room talking with the TV playing in the background. It was like a normal, everyday scene one with a family might come across when they woke up. They looked alike in the forms they had chosen for themselves and I started to wonder if I were able to change my appearance as well. I'd never have a bad hair day again.

"Glad to see you're awake." Azazel smiled when he saw me and I felt a warm sensation of family touch deep within. He still felt like my stepmother. "How are you feeling?"

"Good, I guess. Strange." I chuckled. "But in sort of a good way. Natural."

Azazel crossed over to me and placed his hands on my shoulder. "My beautiful daughter, I am so proud of you!" He circled his arms around me in a tight hug.

"Thanks, I guess. Why would you be proud? I thought you would be upset. Aren't you trying to kill Morgan now?"

"Well, that was when I thought he wanted to hurt you." He started playing with my hair. "You are my most precious child. My most loved. You are the one I cherish more than anything else in existence and it is for you that I even remain in this plane."

I glanced over at Morgan who still looked like my beloved James and my heart broke for him.

"Why would you say something like that? Seems harsh. I mean, shouldn't a parent love all of their children the same?"

He laughed as if what I had said was some sort of hilarious joke. "Oh, my dearest one, you have twenty-three brothers and sisters and I love none of them as I love you."

I glanced at Morgan again. "But, that hardly seems fair."

Morgan noticed my glances and then let out a huff. "Do not worry for my well-being, little sister. I've known his feelings as long as you've been alive. I was his most cherished and then it was you. I've come to terms with it."

"Still, it doesn't seem fair."

Azazel smiled wide. "You still have such a kind heart. It's hard to believe that you truly wish to follow your demon heritage. Our family does not have the same feeling of equality and love that you've come to understand. Those feelings do exist, just not in the same terms you know."

"So, if you have another child with some other witch or whatever, you wouldn't love me anymore? I wouldn't be your favorite?"

"Do not worry yourself of my other children?"