3 - Dr. Bettencourt

Dr. Bettencourt paused outside of the Global Coalition's conference room to prepare himself, aware that once he entered, he would officially be behind enemy lines. They recorded everything he said and could use it used against him in the future. This meeting would be his last about the Lunar Tragedy, then he could go home and mourn his lost friends. Raindrops spattered the glass window next to him, while dark clouds blocked the sunlight outside. He recalled shaking the hands of the Donaldson family, Julie, Michael, and their son Cole when they joined the Mars Colonization team. They and so many others had put their lives in his hands. He had lost so many. Yet, before he could deal with everything, he must attend this last meeting. Although his others he attended virtually. Why did they want him here in person? He inhaled the humid air to focus his mind. The smell of coffee reminded him he had any since...

"Thank you for joining us, Dr. Bettencourt," a professionally dressed older gentleman with white hair and a grey beard greeted him at the door.

"It is a pleasure to see that you are well, Speaker Mickelson."

Speaker Mickelson, the Global Coalition's official spokesperson, nodded his head. "I have had a good recovery since my surgery," he coughed to clear his faint gravelly voice. Then, he escorted him inside and closed the door behind him.

Dr. Bettencourt pushed his sorrow to the side, recovered his composer, and smiled. Six people sat at an onyx marble table with matching black leather chairs that were evenly separated for each of the six representatives. They had hastily placed a seventh chair in-between the two closest spots for him. Bright white fluorescent lights illuminated the room from above. They had recently covered the floor with this silky navy-blue carpet.

Dr. Bettencourt said, "It is an honor to join the most esteemed representatives from each continent." He headed over to greet them, especially theirnewest ambassador Representative Mitchell, the same poor bastard that dated hisex-wife.

"Please take a seat, Dr. Bettencourt," Speaker Mickelson said, interrupting him. "Unfortunately, this meeting will be brief. We still  have a lot of work to do, cleaning up the mess you've made."

Once Dr. Bettencourt sat down, Speaker Mickelson continued. "Because of the Bettencourt Enterprises' direct involvement in the Great Lunar Tragedy, that ended the lives of over 500 people, we have opened a global investigation into the cause, placed a hold on your corporation, and froze all your assets. You cannot do anything involving Bettencourt Enterprises until we determined the cause of the accident, which may take years."

Dr. Bettencourt said, "We both want the same things because I also launched an investigation to determine what happened that day, but you cannot suspend my company. Many lives, on Mars, in space, and on Earth depends on it."

Dr. Mickelson said, "We have a proposition for you that will help all parties."

"Not this again..." Dr. Bettencourt said, groaning. "I have already turned this down, repeatedly. It goes against everything that I have ever worked to achieve and will betray everyone that supports me. Humans overpopulated this planet and until you fix Earth's problems, more people will die, and sending resources is merely a temporary solution."

Representative Li, an older woman with fake dyed black hair in a ponytail, raised her hand and spoke to Dr. Bettencourt in a soothing tone. She spoke in Mandarin, but the words translated into English immediately in his earpiece, "We have changed our offer. Please listen to the new deal. We are certain you will agree this time."

Speaker Mickelson moved closer to Dr. Bettencourt, then said, "It is a three-year contract, and we want your company to mine essential resources from Mars and send them back to Earth. Do not worry, there will be a profit in this for Bettencourt Enterprises."

Everything he said mirrored the other deal that they offered him.

Speaker Mickelson cleared his throat and continued, "Agree to the deal, and we will release Bettencourt Enterprises back into your hands and not blame your company during the ongoing investigation. Just sign right here," he pointed to the virtual contract that hovered in front of them.

Dr. Bettencourt read the contract and saw that it was the same as the one they had already sent, except for the extra paragraph at the bottom about him being given his company back plus, and stated that Bettencourt Enterprises was not at fault for the accident.

He had no decision to make. The investigation would take years and trying to sue the government would take even longer. In addition to this, he and his lawyers were battling his ex-wife's attorneys for custody of Skye, so he could not step out of line anywhere until he had won Skye back.

"Fine. I will accept the deal." He signed the contract.