5 - Hope

Cold crept into every cell of Hope's body. She opened her eyes. Darkness enveloped her. When she tried to raise her hands, she could not. They pressed against subzero ice. She felt around, but it encased her. Her instinct to flee took over, and she flailed her body to break free. Nothing moved.

Where was she?

How did she get here?

She tried to breathe, but the air in her frozen tomb had no oxygen. Despair and isolation overwhelmed her.

Footsteps vibrated on the ground above her and her survival instincts took over again. She must get that person's attention to escape. Both hands punched repeatedly against the ice, slowly breaking through and inching up toward a faint light at the top. Every blow ached, bloodied her knuckles, and sapped her drive to fight, but she still moved closer to the light. Now, out of oxygen, she struck a final blow against the frost, and broke through. She stuck her head through the opening, breathed in fresh arctic air, exhaled hot steam, and shouted weakly, "Help" The person did not hear and strode away in the distance.

Hope woke up and screamed, "Help!" Her body was freezing and filled with despair like the last time.

"Hope, are you OK?" her father asked from the front room. The motion-detecting light sensed him when he entered the room. He wore his doctor's uniform from his previous job on Earth.

"Get up, Hope. You need to heal, and we gave you weeks to process what happened. The next step is to get you up and move around."

Hope had remained on their couch, trading messages with Cole for weeks. The couch converted into a bed, but she did not convert it because she had no desire to move.

The design of their living quarters mirrored everyone else's on board. A thin straw mat covered the metallic floor in front of the couch. There was a bedroom which her parents used and a bathroom. Nobody had a kitchen, since storing and heating your own food was inefficient. Instead, they had one cook that prepared the food, and they ate three times a day in buffet style at the dining hall. The aroma of toast permeated the room, which reminded her of Cole's mom's delicious breakfasts, and she had volunteered to cook before... Hope pulled her frosty feet underneath her toasty legs body and rubbed her arms to warm up.

Cole did not seem any better, which worried her, although she did the same things he did, like laying down and sending videos of her staring at her ceiling. She felt guilty for being here and did not want to tour the facilities with him. At least, that was what she told herself.

Her mom was much more active. She gradually returned to her daily routine. Although she still cried often.

"I do not feel like doing anything." Cole's paused hologram still positioned next to her from last night.

Her dad sat down next to her and put his arm over her shoulder. "I know it's difficult and you will be lost in thought the entire day. That is part of the healing process. Just keep moving. You are an amazing young woman, and you cannot let this derail you."

Hope blushed and grinned.

"Instead, let this adversity mold you into and a stronger person. I love you, Hope."

He squeezed her. His warm body momentarily thawed her frigid core.

"I love you too, dad." Why was she shivering? Oh yeah. That terrible dream.

"Fine. I'll get up."

She rolled off the couch, dazed and tired. She yawned and stretched every muscle in her body.

"Good. Also, I know you're not ready now, but I think focusing on your college degree will help distract you while we're trapped on this ship."

They had accepted her and Cole at Bettencourt's Technical Institute (BTI). Cole had not picked his major. He kept switching between physics, math, and computer sciences. She suggested a triple major. Hope decided and planned on getting an early start on her bachelor's degree, eventual PhD in Agriculture before,.. She had missed the "Summer" session, but the fall semester started in a few weeks. Her brain still felt foggy, and sluggish, like she woke up an hour too early. She remembered her three year-long first place success, although that now seemed hollow.