#1 Peek

Isabella stood in the dining room, looking at the family portrait, noting the missing frame that was Bruno's. The words of his prophecy rang in her head again. Her dream life. When would that be? With Mariano?

"What's wrong, princesa? Bad hair day?"

She turned to see Miguel leaning his big, tall frame against the kitchen doorway.

"Please, I've never had a bad hair day in my life." She rolled her eyes. Miguel quirked a brow, his usual lazy smile made an appearance. Her heart jumped. A purple flower popped into existence.

His smile widened. This is what he loved.

Seeing all the different flowers, knowing each one meant something to Isabela. A peek into her heart. He savored every one. Even the imperfect ones her Abuela tried to remove.

'Clarkia.' Miguel noted. He tucked that thought away.

'Stupid heart! It's Miguel. Annoying, arrogant Miguel. We do not beat for him.' But she couldn't deny his physical appeal. He was tall, standing at an easy 6'4" towering over almost everyone in town. His big frame overtaking the doorway. He wore a white button up but it did nothing to hide his big muscles. He had rolled his sleeves to his forearms. Did he know how sexy that was? He probably did. Damn him.

His hazel eyes were dark green, running over her petite frame with heat.

"Sounds like you just haven't had a reason to." He said with a lazy smile. She blushed. She looked around at the bustling people in the Casita but no one seemed to hear what he said. Stepping closer to him, she hissed.

"What did I say about calling me princesa?"

"That you didn't like it."

"So why do you continue to say it?" She said, having to tilt her up to make eye contact.

"Because I can. Why? Does it bother you, princesa? " He hoped it did. It got her all riled up and she forgot to be perfect. He wanted his Isabela to be free to feel whatever.

"You are infuriating, you know that right?" She glared at him. Her beautiful brown eyes lit, golden flecks sparkled. And just like that his heart thrummed faster. He bowed his head, locking eyes with her.

"Can't help it when your so easy to rile up, princesa ." His voice rich and teasing.

"Miguel-

"Isabela, where have you been? You need to start setting up the flower arrangements." Her Abuela came around Miguel.

"Abuela I was just-"

"Oh Miguel! Your back!" Her Abuela beamed at him.

"Hola, Abuela. Just for a few more days and then I'm heading out again. I brought back some things for the celebration." He replied. His voice deep and polite. Isabela shot him a side look.

What was up with him? With her he was arrogant and annoying but with his Abuela he was the picture of a polite, respectful man who used to gift Abuela gifts from the mountains.

"But you'll be here for the celebration? You spend too much time out there, Miguel. One day you'll have to slow down and get a wife." She said. Isabela froze at that. Miguel? A wife? Why did that idea unsettle her? She shouldn't care. She was engaged to Mariano one of the most sought after men in the village.

"I don't see that happening any time soon, Abuela. I love being in the mountains too much. It would take a special someone to give that up." He said that to Abuela but she didn't miss the glance he shot her way. His green eyes piercing. Her heart skipped again.

'What did that mean?'

Why was she getting excited all of a sudden?

"I'm sure you'll find someone, Miguel. Now, Isabela come. I have some ideas for the staircase before the ceremony." Her Abuela started walking expecting Isabela to fall behind her. And she followed along like the dutiful grand-daughter she was.

Back straight, hair in place, she walked with her head held high, letting pretty pink petals fall around her. Graceful, beautiful Isabela. But she couldn't shake the weight of someone's eyes on her back. She knew who it was. And she hated to admit she enjoyed it.

Following her with his eyes, Miguel frowned. Her small shoulders were tense, carrying the weight of expectations. He wished to ease it.

I just watched ENCANTO and absolutely loved Isabela's character. This will be a short story probably 3-4 parts.

Isabela's book of flowers a guide by Miguel Vásquez
Purple Flower: Excited?