| chapter six |

Waking up the next morning face-first on the floor, was not the most pleasant experience.

Gotta be honest, don't really know what happened last night, everything feels kinda blurry. All I remember is that I found some lot a few blocks away, and I was chased by "Mr. Rodriguez" himself. God, what a fever dream. A little scary to be honest, especially after he grabbed me.

I managed to peel myself off the ground and get ready, as I promised Smalls I'd stop by his house in the morning for breakfast.

Getting ready, I did the same routine as usual, wearing a darker wash pair of loose jean shorts, a tight tank top, some loose zip up that hung off my shoulders, and my red pair of converse that I only wear on occasion. I kept my hair down, as it was super soft and fluffy from the shampoo I'd been using.

My face was a bit irritated from lying on the carpet all night, so I made sure to cover up the spots I developed overnight.

I put on a thin silver necklace, the rings I always wear, and a tiny pair of hoops as a final touch.

Tidying up a few clothing items off my floor, I made sure to snag some money and my walkman (of course), before heading out.

-

I took the minute-long walk over to Smalls's house, but for some reason, I was a little nervous. Not sure why, but I could practically feel my legs wobble every step there. Let's just say I'm not the best at meeting new people.

When I got to his porch, I shakily knocked on his front door. It was only 9:24, so he's probably still home. I swear to god, if he isn't home, or his mom opens the door, I'm going to end my life on the spot no jok-

My thoughts were cut off by the click of a lock, and the door quickly swung open.

Thank god it was just Smalls.

He stood there, wide-eyed, muttering something to himself.

"Giselle! I-I didn't think you were gonna show."

"Wel, here I am!" I grinned and shuffled my feet.

He smiled and guided me in, as it was getting unbearably hot out.

His house was simple and cozy, with traditional decorations and fun lamps. Picture frames adorned the walls, little plants with wilted flowers, and shoes and jackets lined up near the entrance.

"My mom isn't home right now, she's out gettin' groceries. And Bill's at work, so it's just us, hope you don't mind." I dunno who Bill is, but it's definitely not the right time to ask.

"Oh, it's alright. No worries."

He lead me into the kitchen, where there was a bowl of miscellaneous chopped fruits and a stack of lukewarm waffles. I sat down at the table as he poured me a glass of water.

"This looks delicious, thanks man! So what's the plan today?" I ask curiously as I plop a grape into my mouth.

"Well, I think maybe stoppin' by the sandlot, introducing you to a few of my friends. I'm not sure if they like me or not, but I think you'd get along with one of them. You guys are probably the same age too."

"Sounds cool! I'm down for whatever." I smiled at him, and he jeered back as we munched on the waffles.

-

Though, as I got to my third waffle, there was a quiet knocking on the door. Smalls was too busy washing the dishes with soap all over his hands, so he asked me to get it.

"Oh, I'm not so sure Smalls, I don't think-"

"I'm pretty sure it's just my mama, you'll be alright."

I shook my head, but stood up and rocked my way over to the door. Grabbing the doorknob, I slowly twisted it until I heard the clasp unlock. Shutting my eyes, I swung the door open to discover who's behind it.

Blinking my eyes open, I blurrily see a figure, much broader and taller than your typical mother.

No fucking way.

"Woah." The boy mutters as he looks me up and down. I take a step back at the sound of his voice.

"Uh... shit, give me a second, I-" I say to him as I start to close the door, but suddenly see a hand firmly grip around the edge of the frame.

"Hold on, I-I'm really sorry, but do I know you?" He asks questioningly.

"Nope, I don't think you do!" I jolt the door out of his hand and slam it shut.

I muffledly hear the sound of his fists gently banging on the door, along with a voice shouting, but I can't quite make it out.

I lean against the door, making sure it stays shut as the pounding gets harder and harder to hold back.

"UHH SMALLS? YOU'RE BOYFRIEND IS HERE!"

"Who?" He sounded very confused, but now is not the time for an explanation on what sarcasm means.

"I don't know, alright! Could you just answer it for me?"

"Whatever." He dries his hands, rushes to the door, and ripped it open.

"Oh, hi Benny!" Benny?

"Who was that?" He stares at Smalls concerned, attempting to peer around the doorframe.

"Oh boy, how perfect!" Smalls grins as he yanks on my arm, pulling me into the outside view. "This is one of my new friends, she just moved here." Benny laughed and glanced up at me. God, what an introduction.

"Giselle Perlman." I swiftly brush the hair out of my eyes, finally giving him eye contact.

"This is who you were talking about?" Benny mumbled.

"Who else would it be?"

"I- I don't know, guess I just didn't expect it to be a girl."

A moment of quiet passes as I awkwardly swayed back and forth, but Smalls breaks the tension,"Well get over it, cmon' and be a gentleman, introduce yourself!" Smalls nudged him in the arm, and he fumbled forward.

"Jeez, relax. I'm Benny Rodriguez." He was wearing a baggy pair of jeans, a wifebeater, an open red button-up, and a black Dodgers hat, along with a pair of Converse. I guess were matching. "I've seen you around before, I think. You're the one who lives in that big gray house, huh?" He chuckled and pointed at my room. Does he have an accent?

I blinked a few times, zoning myself back in. Am I staring? "Um, sorta. My grandparents live there, I'm just staying here for the summer." He tilted his head, nodding along with every word I said.

"Oh, nice." He smiled at me and rubbed the back of his neck, shuffling his feet. "Well Smalls, Imma' head to the sandlot to play some ball for a bit, see you later?"

"You betcha!" Smalls smiled back at him and gave him a little thumbs up.

"Alrighty... and, Giselle right?"

"Mmh?" I  looked up at him.

He tilted his head down a bit, but still kept his eyes on me, "You play ball right? You should stop by the lot later, we could use another player. Only if you want though." Thank god I'm not half bad at sports, or this conversation would have been way more awkward

"Sure, why not." I mean, I might as well give him a chance after running away from him like an absolute psychopath last night. Besides, now that I look at him up close, he doesn't seem THAT bad.

"Cool. Well, I'll catch you later!" He flashed us a quick smirk, and quickly skipped away, running down the street.

Hm. Benny.

*

ahh! i'm so excited that yall finally get to meet benny! sorry for dragging it on so long, i just loved the suspense (a little too much), and don't worry, the story will definitely be picking up from here. i'm also sick rn, so be expecting another chapter (maybe 2???) later this week. thanks for reading this far, love youuu!

(ps. i think when i get a little further into the book, im gonna make a playlist on spotify or apple music that corresponds to each chapter. thoughts? lmk <3)

- alex