Chapter 6: Until the Clock Strikes

Start from the beginning

Kevin replied, "I think so."

Sophie nudged him to not lie

Marley gave them a side glance "You swear to it?"

Kevin, he nudged her "No." then responded to Marley

Marley "Yeah. Well, this is the place to be if you're feeling bad about yourself." as you can see he is looking down abit.

Kevin asked him "It is?"

Marley answered, "I think so."

Kevin asked, "Are you feeling bad about yourself?"

Marley responded "No." he knew the truth about himself.

Kevin told his story of the days past "I've been kind of a pain lately. I said some things I shouldn't have. I really haven't been too good this year. Yeah. I'm kind of upset because I really like my family. Even though sometimes I say I don't. Sometimes I even think I don't. Do you get that?"

Marley nodded "I think so. How you feel about family is a complicated thing."

Kevin responded "Especially with an older brother." as Krystal coughed "and a twin sister."

Marley kept talking "Deep down, you'll always love them, But you can forget that you love him. You can hurt them, they can hurt you. That's not just because you're young plus you got a very nice girl to look after" he referred to Sophie "You wanna know the real reason why I'm here?"

Kevin nodded and gestured her to sit on his lap "Sure."

Marley told him, smiling at the young couple "I came to hear my granddaughter sing. I can't come to hear her tonight."

Krystal asked, "You have plans?"

Marley didn't turn but answered "No. I'm not welcome."

Kevin surprised would ask "At church?"

Marley corrected Kevin "You're always welcome at church. I'm not welcome with my son. Years back, before you and your family moved on the block...I had an argument with my son."

Sophie asked on Kevin's lap "How old is he?"

Marley replied "He's grown up. We lost our tempers, and I said I didn't care to see him anymore. He said the same, and we haven't spoken to each other since."

Kevin shrugged asked, "If you miss him, why don't you call him?"

Marley answered as they'd listen "I'm afraid if I call, he won't talk to me."

Kevin asked as Sophie shifted and would lean on his chest, while he held her tighter "How do you know?"

Marley smiled at how cute this was answering "I don't know. I'm just afraid he won't."

Kevin still holding Sophie "No offense, but aren't you a little old to be afraid?" Saying it like it is.

Marley replied "You can be old for a lot of things. You're never too old to be afraid."

Kevin sighed and kept talking about his fear "That's true. I was afraid of our basement. It's dark. There's weird stuff down there, and it smells funny. That sort of thing. It's bothered me for years, until I realized I had these two even her" referring to Soph.

Marley responded "Basements are like that."

Kevin talked "I made myself go down to do some laundry with these two girls...and I found out it's not so bad. I worried about it, but if you turn on the lights, it's no big deal."

Marley asked "What's your point?"

Kevin "My point is, you should call your son."

Marley spoke afraid "What if he won't talk to me?"

"Come on," Sophie spoke up "he gives great advice, take it."

Kevin nodded agreeing "yeah, and At least you'll know. Then you could stop worrying about it. You won't have to be afraid anymore. No matter how mad I was, I'd talk to my dad. Especially around the holidays."

Marley sighed replied "I don't know."

Kevin gave his advice "Just give it a shot. For your granddaughter anyway. I'm sure she misses you. And the presents."

Marley would only say "I send her a check."

Kevin would just keep talking stroking Sophie's hand gently "I wish my grandparents did that. They always send me clothes. Last year I got a sweater with a big bird knitted on it."

Marley "Oh, that's nice."

Krystal told him "Not for a guy in the second grade. You can get beat up for wearing something like that. We have a friend who got nailed because there was a rumor he wore dinosaur pajamas."

Marley knew itYou better run home where you belong. Think about what I said. All right?

Kevin nodded "Okay." And gently got Sophie off his lap heading to his right side putting his beanie on.

Marley said to the three "It's nice talking to you."

Kevin and the girls all nodded "Nice talking to you. What about you?"

Marley asked "Me?"

Kevin said "Yeah. You and your son."

Marley replied "We'll see what happens. Merry Christmas."

Kevin smiled and took Sophie's hand again "Merry Christmas."

The girls and kevin began walking out, they thought of something until they heard the choir singing Carol of the Bells in the background racing home before they did.

Authors Notes: I'll update in the next three days.

Original update date: 1/14/22

P.S. if you got a ship name for Kevin and Sophie I'd love to hear it :)

Please vote and comment feedback I'd love to hear everything or read I mean :)