Chapter Twenty-Two: Tej, Monday

Start from the beginning

"Sounds great."

"Tell the client I'll be there in ten minutes."

"Will do. See you then."

He hung up, and she quickly drove home to grab her bag, which held her working documents and current listings, and let her in-laws know she was meeting a client and that if they needed her they could call her cell.

She parked on Columbia Street in the back-in pay parking as close to Birinder's office as she could. When she entered she found a rather large white man with buzzcut hair sitting in the waiting room. Before she had the opportunity to take him in, Birinder stepped out of his office and smiled. "There you are," he said. "I'd like to introduce you to Patrick Marinvile."

"Patrick... Marinville," she repeated slowly, unable to believe what she'd heard.

At the sound of his name, the large man stood to full height, and Tej suddenly wished she had a way of backing out of this.

"Hello," he said.

"Hi!" she said too brightly, offering her hand, incredulous at herself for giving him any opportunity to get a hold of her. If Birinder weren't standing right there, instinct might have held her back. "I'm Tej Parhar."

He took her hand and shook just long enough to be polite before letting go. He didn't crush her hand; he was probably aware of how large and strong he was, and purposefully moderated himself to mitigate the damage he could cause. "Good to meet you," he said.

"Mr. Sandhu says you're new to the city," she said. 

He nodded. "Yeah, I lived in Kelowna until I got transferred to the RCMP detachment in Langley, and I've been renting a small apartment there while I sorted myself out. I need something bigger for the kids, and since they're currently living at their grandparents' in Richmond, I thought I should move closer to them while being able to get to work in a good amount of time."

She nodded. "If you go to work in the mornings, you'd be going against traffic, so that would save time. Did you say the Langley detachment?"

His brow furrowed. "Yeah, why?"

"I'm acquainted with someone who also works there. Joanie Mara?"

He smiled brightly at that. "I know Sergeant Mara. What a coincidence!"

Tej couldn't help being amused at the obvious crush the man must have on Joanie; his face didn't hide emotion well. Could this man have been capable of murdering his lover's husband? "Well, if you're looking for property in Queensborough, I have some listings you can look at. Would you like to take a drive out there? You can get a feel for the neighbourhood and the amenities. There's an elementary and middle school across a park from each other, a community centre in the vicinity of both, a shopping complex down the road including a Wal-Mart and other outlet stores. It's quite a nice bedroom community."

He smiled and said, "You're selling me already. Yeah, I have a couple of hours before I have to take off for work."

"All right, why don't I give you the specs for the ones I have now, and while you're reviewing them I can make a phone call."

"Would you like me to come with the two of you?" Birinder asked.

Tej blinked in surprise. "I thought you said you were swamped."

Birinder cleared his throat and looked askance at Patrick, who smirked and said, "I think he's offering to accompany you while you're with the big scary stranger. I understand completely."

"Oh!" She looked at Birinder, who squirmed a little and... was that a blush? She turned back to Patrick. "You're not offended?"

He shook his head. "I know the effect I have on people."