Fighting Destiny

Briar Rose

I remember yesterday, the way he held me. It was like a beautiful burn. Held me like I was a delicate flower, one that he cherished. I can imagine my life with him would be perfect. I could feel our connection. But I had a life to get back to. I couldn't abandon all that for this fantasy dreamland to become a queen. I couldn't throw my future away to become a wife at nineteen! I needed to leave. I simply could not come to terms with this reality. I needed to find the soothsayer.

I lay in my bed groggy-eyed as the sun peeks through the curtains and I see Taurus and Elouise staring at me with wide eyes.

"Oh my god, you look dead," Taurus says in concern.

Eloise cuts a glare her way and I can't help but laugh.

"Can you both give me some privacy jeez, I will get ready?"

Suddenly the door opens and I hear a squeal.

"TIANA?!" I scream.

She rushes over to me and tackles me like a linebacker hugging me tightly.

"I missed you" she sniffled. "I thought you were dead or something."

"Why are you here?" I ask in dead confusion.

She smiles at me her eyes bright.

"I was always there to look after you, you've become very dear to my heart."

I pull away in anger.

"You knew" I accuse. "You knew everything."

She looks down in guilt.

"I was loyal to him before you, but everything I did was for you. You deserve each other, only he can bring you happiness."

I flinch.

"I don't want to see you right now," I say hugging my arms.

Taurus and Eloise look away solemly.

I hear the door close softly.

"Alright we're going to have so much dressing you," Taurus says chirpily trying to cheer up the mood.

Twenty minutes later I'm in front of a mirror my skin glowing, hair in a braided crown around my head, rouge on my cheeks and lips, and a simple high-necked lace white dress that looked somewhat vintage but in a slightly modern way. On my feet were simple iridescent ballerina flats.

Taurus claps happily and Elouise bobs her head in approval.

They escort me down a flight the stairs and I again stare at the paintings.

Passed by many servants as they bow at me while scurrying off with blankets and various things in their hands.

We make it to another corridor.

This place is seriously a maze.

They leave and the door opens to see a circular courtyard with windows around it showing the outside gardens. Its bright light spilled in it as plants and flowers were planted around it.

Sitting at the table was Dorian, Tiana, a strange man I haven't met and IVY?!

I rush inside to Ivy who was sipping her tea smiling.

"Ah, you're here finally, have some scones they're delicious."

She's so cheeky.

I look over to Tiana who's laughing with the strange guy as their having a discussion.

I sit beside Dorian who is staring intently at me with a fist on the table resting on his chin as he stares at me while I have my cup filled.

I get a plate and pile croissants, eggs, cheese, and scones on my plate. I scrunch my brows and I feel my face heat in embarrassment as he doesn't shift his eyes.