Chapter Three: United

"Train The Way You Play" - Niles Fire Department

The shift ended fast, the tension between Xavier and Adriana affected the entire station, everyone was nervously doing their tasks until the twenty-four hours ended, she returned home, Gethin was there, of course, he was bored watching TV, he turned his head when he heard her footsteps, part of her knew it was mainly to ensure if she was his wife or a hitman "you don't seem happy to be home" he said sarcastically "because! There is something major going on and I can't talk to anyone about it without them thinking I'm crazy" she huffed and joined him on the couch, he muted the TV and  shifted his attention entirely to her "you can tell me, I do crazy shit all the time, last month I was disarming a bomb in the Empire State Building, now the only crazy I'm witnessing is the craziness going on in the Kardashians" the woman giggled.

It wasn't a bad idea though, he was in secret services, he is probably the help she was looking for "okay, it is insane, but you have to at least consider it" he rolled his eyes "can you give me more credit please? Come on, spill it out" she took a deep breath "okay... remember how the fires increased in the past two months more than ever? I'm talking major fires, like today's building, and the burning cottage in the woods that almost caught to the woods, and similar incidents? Well, I noticed something, every time there was a fire of that sort, a shadow would appear, it watches the fire until it burns out when the shadow notices someone caught it, it disappears" he opened his mouth to speak "before you say anything... I'm not crazy and I'm not making it up either, today, the shadow stayed longer than usual, Xavier noticed it too"

"Xavier is the guy I met today, right?" she nodded "he seems like a nice guy" she snapped her fingers "Gethin! Focus! We think the shadow is related to the fires, we think it belongs to the person starting them in the first place" he raised an eyebrow "or a creep who enjoys watching things burn" she looked slightly annoyed "okay, look, it is highly unlikely, it is probably the toxins you guys inhale from the fire speaking" she furrowed her eyebrows and opened her mouth but he interrupted "but! You can write down the addresses and time of the fires where you saw it, and I can have Lucia look it up in our database" she grinned and hugged him.

He was surprised by the gesture but he ended up hugging her back "thank you!" he smiled "no need, I kind of need something to keep me busy until this stupid month is over" she took the remote controller and unmuted the TV, both continued watching the Kardashians for the rest of the night.

Adriana wasted no time, she wrote all the needed information and gave it to Gethin who wasted no time either, he sent the information to Lucia, his sister who runs the Surveillance Department and she had her team, worked on it "Lucia said we should have details by tonight" he informed her the next morning, she nodded, sipping her coffee "you are not taking a shift?" she shook her head "today is B's day, we take Sunday, Wednesday and Friday" there were three teams taking shifts in the station, B had Saturday, and Monday, while C took the rest.

"Let us do something together then, let's go out!" he suggested "Gethin, I-" he interrupted "you're the one who said we should at least be friends" she sighed and nodded "fine, let me finish my coffee first" he grinned, it wasn't that he was any happier about the marriage, it was spending all this time alone in the apartment that made him this desperate to be with someone even the wife that he didn't love or want, at least she's someone he can be civil with.

She finished her coffee and changed into a comfortable outfit then looked at Gethin "come on, let's go" he grinned and got up, he grabbed his jacket and the two began their journey of exploring the city, well, it was Gethin who did most of the exploring, Adriana just tagged along "let's go to Taco Bell" Gethin said, basically pleading, she raised an eyebrow, she's never seen someone this excited about tacos.