SIX | the turning

Blair stands in the archway of the living room after being summed by her mother, who's seated on the edge of her armchair as if ready to run out of it. Even the smile on her face seemed fleeting.

"Blair, dear," Mrs Nott says, casting a swift glance at her husband, who was standing by the couch. "Your father and I thought it'd be a fine idea to host a party here tonight with some of our colleagues and old friends. It'd be good for our family."

For your reputation, you mean, Blair thinks.

"Can I invite Emris?" Blair asks in a firm tone. She still wants to ask, even if Emris still hasn't responded to any of her calls or texts.

"No," Her father answers. "Emris has house-arrest still and I believe you two need some time apart after the stunt you two pulled."

Blair clenches her jaw, her hands balling into fists at her side. She doesn't bother correcting the man, telling him that she didn't run away with Emris, but that she disappeared because.. because she was kidnapped. But she can't say that either, because the words would turn sour on her tongue.

"But we have invited Henry, of course. It may be nice for you two to talk some more after things happened so swiftly yesterday." Mrs Nott says.

Blair stays silent, unable to find any kind words inside of her. It'd be nice to see Henry and talk to him as a friend, but she knows Draco won't like it. But he has to trust her, even if she knows it's not her he doesn't trust, but the male species instead.

"Where's Draco?" Mrs Nott asks, narrowing her eyes, a corner of her red-painted mouth lifting. Mr Nott tensed in his spot.

"Why do you expect me to know?" Blair asks, placing her hands behind her back. She knows damn well where Draco is of course, but that suspicion in her mother's eyes is a little too much to ignore.

"You two have been glued together for two years now," Mrs Nott laughs softly, something gleaming in her eyes. "He hardly leaves your side."

Blair ignores the butterflies swarming in her belly, her face heating. "He's cleaning some things at his Manor. He'll be back any moment."

"Is he going back there? Or will he be staying with us a little while longer?" Mrs Nott asks. Blair realizes quickly that her mother is prying, which isn't unlike her. Her mother knows what could be going on between Blair and Draco.

"I haven't asked," Blair lies. "I think he'll be staying a while longer. Just to ensure my wellbeing."

Mrs Nott's smile appears a little warmer than usually. "Very well."

Speaking of the devil— the front door opens and Draco comes walking back in. His eyes instantly fall upon Blair, and every bit of annoyance fades from her eyes. She bites back a smile, and looks back at her parents. "If you will excuse me."

She passes the archway and walks back through the hallway, walking right into Draco's arms. When he opens his mouth, though, to probably speak some endearment, she puts her finger against his lips. "Shh, we'll talk in my room." She whispers.

Draco grins, pulling off his coat without taking his eyes off her and hanging it up before leaning down and pressing a kiss to her cheek. "Of course, my love." He whispers.

"It's too suspicious if you come upstairs with me now," Blair whispers. "They're in the living room, they'll see us walk past."