Chapter 7: Midnight Mansion (5)

Začít od začátku

He had originally made Ren Xue angry but after getting attacked by the ghost, Ren Xue was no longer angry at him. Instead, he even saw her cry for him because of this so to him it was a blessing in disguise.

Cheng Zhi Chu and Bai Yi moved over to the big oil painting and worked together to remove it from the wall. As described by the letter, there was a hidden door behind it.

Cheng Zhi Chu pulled out the key and tried to open the hidden door with it. The key and the keyhole fitted perfectly and after a gentle turn, the door clicked open.

"Creak........ "

As the door slowly opened, a thick layer of dust fell and scattered around. Cheng Zhi Chu coughed a few times and then used his flashlight to illuminate the interior. In an instant, his pupils constricted, and he let out a panicked cry. Dropping the flashlight onto the ground, he fell to the ground trembling.

A dried-up corpse fell out from inside and landed next to Cheng Zhi Chu's feet. Its arm even touched his foot causing him to scream again and scramble backwards. Ren Xue and the others were surprised by his sudden cry. When they turned around in horror, they also saw the dried corpse on the ground.

"It's okay. Don't be scared."

Bai Yi bent down and supported Cheng Zhi Chu up. He patted his back gently and said: "It's not a ghost. It's just a corpse."

"R-right... "

Cheng Zhi Chu timidly looked down and was able to breathe a sigh of relief when he saw that it wasn't moving. He wiped away the cold sweat and said: "When it fell out, I wasn't prepared for it at all. Scared me......."

"You have the nerve to say that? The scariest one here is you. Your scream was more startling than that corpse!" Wang Jianming smacked his chest in anger.

Cheng Zhi Chu fell silent. Indeed, he had overreacted earlier. Under the ridicule of his own teammate, he could only remain quiet. Bai Yi gently gave Wang Jianming a look and then patted Cheng Zhi Chu's shoulder. He bent down and started to examine the body.

Bai Yi held onto the hand of the corpse and his expression remained calm. It was as if he was just holding onto a block of wood. He examined the dried-up hand and then turned the corpse over before saying: "He's probably Mr. Charlie, Mrs. Mei Jie's husband and the first male owner of this mansion."

"How do you know?" Cheng Zhi Chu asked with surprise.

"His nails are badly damaged so he must have scratched it against something hard. Based on the letter, there were many scratches on the walls in the basement. It was probably something left by him. It also mentioned that Mr. Charlie probably died in the basement."

Bai Yi looked at the corpse in silence for a while: "His cause of death is a little strange..........he was starved to death."

"He's already all dried-up yet you can tell that he was starved to death?" Wang Jianming asked suspiciously.

"I have a skill in that field." Bai Yi explained simply. He then said, "Maybe Mrs. Mei Jie had locked her husband in the basement and had ordered the others not to give him food. Charlie was starved to the point that he almost went crazy, so he scratched at the walls, but Mrs. Mei Jie didn't feel any sympathy for him. In the end, he was starved to death."

"If that's true then that is just too cruel. She actually starved her own husband to death. What kind of hatred is that?"

Cheng Zhi Chu had a look of disbelief. It was hard for him to imagine a wife doing something so vicious to their own husband.

"After starving her own husband to death, she even hid his body behind the oil painting and continued to live in the main bedroom like nothing had happened. For her to be able to do something like this, maybe Mrs. Mei Jie isn't mentally normal."