Chapter 23. Trouble Pt. 2 - In Paradise

longish A/N !! y'all tysm for reading this far i love u all 🥰 frl tysm besties y'all the REALEST and this has been sm fun to write, its def not ending anytime soon so dw !! also im srry i planned on updating last night but i ended up going bowling & getting dinner w girls from work <3 also i included a long-running joke between panama y colombia in this, i love y'all we are brother & sister but we have better peppers <3

In those moments there was no fear. There was nothing. I was simply a body, my soul outside, watching her flounder, gasping for air and lose grip on this reality even more by the second. We pushed our way through the mass of people, his hand in mine, everyone around us completely in the dark about what we'd just done. No, what he'd just done. I had no part in it.

But suddenly we pushed back to the slightest seclusion, where the roar of the party was slightly deafened so we could hear each other's thoughts. It was the same little hole behind a banister that he'd pulled me into to spy on Mirabel. This time, the crowd blended together like ripped seams; I couldn't make out faces, only the sways and jumps lost to the mist of my eyes.

"Did you really... do that?" I asked Camilo.

"I did." He said. His face was the only one I could see, the same hints of a grin still striking me. "But I've only asked your parents permission, you know, I haven't asked you how you even feel about all of this."

"Then ask." I said, a strange wave of confidence overtaking me.

"Would you like to be my novia, Y/N?"

It was as though the entire room was lost from my line of sight, only the halo of his silhouette appearing before me. I felt no resistance, no voice in my head screaming for me to shut up. I wasn't worried for if I would leave. I wasn't worried that his Abuela had put him up to this. These feelings were genuine, radiating from his figure onto mine in wavelengths. "Yes, please." I spoke softly.

"I know things are complicated right now with you living here but we can figure it out together. I know Abuela wants it but I don't care what she wants, I'd want you if I met you anywhere, I'd want you if she told me I could never have you."

"That's really sweet," I replied.

"It's the truth, mi sirenita. But be honest, did you like me before I asked?"

"It wasn't obvious?" I returned, placing a hand on his shoulder and feeling the warmth through his shirt. "Of course I liked you. I just got all in my head about it, you know?"

"Yeah, I know." He laughed a little bit, before pulling me into a tight hug unprompted. I smiled widely into the comfort of the crook of his neck, standing on my tip toes. I hugged back with every muscle in my arms.

"I'm so happy I've got you now," Camilo spoke softly into my ear. I couldn't move, still in this sort of trance with my eyes closed. All I could see were the auras of us, in this embrace for what felt like eternity. How did this keep happening? The minute I decided I could live without him, that I would make my own path and burn these bridges, he decides to make me his?