Chapter 3. And sometimes we grow on people.

Mirabel continued to lead me to their Abuela Alma, who was waiting inside Casita. I didn't even get a chance to speak to her about her lack of a gift... I figured it was a sore subject. All I could manage to say was, "I'm sorry your cousin's so mean to you."

She shook her head, tossing her jet black curls. "He's not trying to be mean. He jokes and gets carried away. But it does hurt sometimes." We walked the rest of the way in silence. I imagined she was my Abuela so it was easier to keep quiet.

Alma addressed me, "Y/N, I hear you've got a desire to train and grow with your gift. That's good news. Your gift could be of great service to others, don't you know?"

I shook my head. "Señora, my gift has only caused bad things to happen. Just today when Camilo and Mirabel asked me to set a fire, I had to scramble to put it out."

"But you succeeded. And you will succeed again. So it's decided then, you will stay here and learn how to manage your power. You are welcome here for dinner. You may follow my family and learn from them and their ways. And soon your own gift will be very useful."

I thought to myself... how can they be useful? Wildfires and floods are natural disasters. But I kept my mouth shut. "When do I start?"

"Tomorrow. Tonight, join us for dinner, and show us your gift with your water glass again. Please."

I nodded. "Thank you. So much." I felt small tears welling in my eyes but I fought against them. I don't know her. Yet she's welcomed me to her home. Suddenly a knock came to the door and a man entered.

"Señora Madrigal, the people of Encanto want to know what we saw today in town... Did Mirabel get her gift?" He asked with worried brow.

Alma stood and left the door, to greet a party outside so to questions. "The Magic is strong, though it seems a young woman Del Norte... outside of the family, has been given a gift. We do not know it's origins, but we are so thankful she came to us for guidance and because she desires to use it to help others. Her Abuela is staying in their Wagon while she stays with us, and her family is back home up North."

"Señora..." a young man said from the crowd. "My wife and I have just built a new home because our children became too many for our last. Our old home is open to her family if they should decide to come stay in Encanto."

"Gracias, Miguel. Your community thanks you." Alma replied. Did this mean... Abuela would go back for Mama and Papi and everyone else?

The crowd dispersed after this. I turned to Mirabel, asking, "Does that happen often?"

She nodded. "People like to know how the magic is because... it helps us all." She sighed and looked away.

I couldn't help but feel a tug at my heart for Mirabel. We were so similar until I learned this was a gift. All I wanted was to hug her, to tell her i would give it to her in an instant if I could, so we could trade places and both fit in perfectly. But I can't drown it out.

Alma turned to address me again. "Y/N... Ask Camilo to sit next to you, at the end of the table for dinner." She ordered.

I thought to myself, hell no! How did she expect me to want to sit next to him if he treats his cousin like that! What a jerk! Maybe it's because of what she said earlier, about marrying in, that I should get closer with Camilo. But I nod that I will sit with him and she shows me how to set the table for dinner. I can already smell the food. It's different, I'm not used to it yet; I'm used to constant spice, never sweet or savory; but it's so delicious that the strangeness isn't off putting in the slightest.

Alma's other children helped set the table, and finally I brushed with Camilo. I didn't see him after he turned into a toddler and ran off on the walk. But he was normal again. And as much as I hate to admit it, he was a little boyishly handsome. But maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself. Maybe if he would just keep his mouth shut, like the little birds Abuela taught me to embroider, to keep cursed hands busy, he'd be much more handsome. But I know he won't. Still, I fulfill his Abuela's wish in exchange for dinner.

"Hey Camilo, will you sit next to me tonight?" I ask him.

He nods before shouting to his young brother, "Antonio! Let's trade spots tonight!" I lock eyes with Alma across the room and she gives me a nod and a slight smile. It was only then that I noticed her crow's feet.

His brother agreed, maybe not knowing what was going on, just wanting to please his big brother.

When dinner was on the table being passed around, I began to worry for my own Abuela... but she knows her way back if she wanted to, and I'll visit her after. Everything was going so well, I can't ruin something else.

Camilo passed me food without asking. I took it with small, "Thank you"s and smiles, passing it to the right. Before I knew it I had a full plate and Alma gave a quick message, that everyone should be on their best behavior, before instructing us to eat.

"So... where'd you say you were from?"

"North."

"Yeah, I know, everyone knows that much. What's the village's name?"

"Ojo de Tigre." I replied. "It's pretty small."

"Yeah, I've never heard of it." He said in between bites of food. "What's it like?"

"I didn't leave the house much. They were usually scared I'd ruin things. But it was very different to here," I replied, taking a small bite of the arroz con frijoles.

"Oh. Well what did you do there?"

"I mostly stayed home. I learned to read and write and do math. I learned to speak English and I learned how to cook and clean and sew. What do you usually do for fun?"

"Well... I do a lot of chores, and I help people in town. I like to play with other people's heads sometimes and pull little pranks." He explained.

"I see. You know, I could make you a shirt if you'd like."

"Yeah, just make it fireproof like yours is." He laughed, throwing his head forward. I could hear the chatter around us continue.

"Very funny." I rolled my eyes and looked at the water in my cup. Suddenly, I remembered that Señora Alma had asked me to show a trick with the water but I didn't know what to do. So I began to think. How could I get Camilo back for hurting Mirabel?

I slowly lifted the water out of the cup, my hand shaking in front of me. Slowly the chatter stopped while Camilo continued laughing so hard his eyes were closed. The joke wasn't even that funny. Once the water was completely out of the cup and sitting in a little orb above Camilo's head... I let it drop and soak him.

"Hey! What'd you do that for!" He scrunched his brow and wiped his eyes. I smirked and felt the disapproval of his Abuela before I slowly pulled it the water in small streams off of him, and back into the cup.

"I thought you said you liked pranks!" It was my turn to laugh now. "You're dry now, so don't worry!" I let out a little laugh again.

He started to laugh too. I looked towards Alma to see she wasn't so upset as my mind had me believe she was, but she certainly wasn't smiling again. Until, Antonio raised his little hand and began to exclaim, "Me next!"

"Antonio! You hate getting rained on!" Pepa exclaimed.

"But Y/N can dry me off after! Can't you Y/N?" He began to give puppy dog eyes at me and put his hands together, pleading.

"Maybe after dinner, little." I replied.

"After dinner!" He smiled and began eating quickly, shoving spoonfuls in his mouth and stuffing his cheeks until he looked like a chipmunk.

"Antonio, you can play with Y/N after we're all finished with dinner." Alma ordered once again, lifting her fork to her lips.

He sighed defeatedly and started eating again at a normal pace. I smiled. It's becoming apparent that maybe, this family does like me after all.