Chapter 16 - Astra Journeys to Akkala

Start from the beginning

"Haven't I told you it's impolite to stare, dear," said the mother. "And you should realize it can't possibly be him."

"But it looks just like him, Mom! I can show you his picture in my history text when we get home," whispered the boy, but still loud enough to be heard.

"Don't be silly, dear! For one thing, she's a girl."

Then the mother turned to Astra.

"I apologize for my boy's behavior, miss, staring at you like that and talking about you as if you're not here," said the mother.

"It's fine," said Astra with a smile. "Is anything wrong?"

"Oh, it's silly. My son thinks you're the lost hero of Hyrule, miraculously returned to us unchanged after over twenty years. He said you look just like the picture of Link in his history textbook."

"Oh, I see," laughed Astra. "Well, don't feel bad about that, and thank you for the compliment. Others have also pointed out the resemblance. But I assure you, I'm not him."

"No, no, of course you're not, miss," laughed the mother. "And apologies again. We will just pay for our order and be on our way."

The mother paid for some milk and eggs, then left with her son. They could see her talking to him through the window, probably gently scolding him about the importance of good manners.

"The usual, Dr. Purah?" said Ivee.

"No, double the usual, I think, since I have company now," said Purah. "Oh, Ivee, let me introduce my new assistant, Astra."

"Pleased to meet you, Astra, and welcome to our village," said Ivee. "I think you'll like it here if you enjoy peace and quiet. People here are friendly and neighborly if you speak with them, but generally mind their own business otherwise."

"Thank you, peace and quiet can be very welcome sometimes," said Astra.

"But forgive me, Astra, I can understand the little boy's confusion. You do resemble the famous hero Link, and I must admit that it gave me a start seeing you walk through the door. As you probably know, Link lived just up the hill on the other side of Firly Pond and used to shop here when my father Pruce ran the store. I was usually busy with chores back then, mostly sweeping up outside, but Link would always stop to say hello to me and ask how I was. He would also chat with my little brother, Azu, if he ran into him playing somewhere. But that's how Link was: a famous hero and personal friend of Her Majesty, but not stuck up or given to putting on airs and such. You felt he truly cared about you when he spoke with you, and he would do what he could to help you if you needed it. We were all very sorry when we learned he was gone. Anyway, forgive me for prattling on. Let me help get your order ready, Dr. Purah. We have a fresh batch of Endura Shrooms that just arrived," said Ivee.

Purah paid for the merchandise, thanked Ivee, and Astra helped carry it out of the store.

"That was interesting," said Astra. "I guess I should have expected it, but it never occurred to me that Link would be pictured in history books here."

"To be honest, I forgot too," laughed Purah. "But wearing your hair short as you do certainly increases your resemblance to Link."

"I prefer it short," said Astra as she touched her hair. "My sister likes to wear her hair long, but that's more trouble to care for and can interfere with combat."

"True," said Purah. "Well, here we are at the inn. Let me check for any mail."

Astra waited outside as Purah checked with the proprietor of the inn and emerged a moment later holding a letter.