The Day She Came Home

Start from the beginning

Cecelia was shut in her room, laying in bed, staring out the window, silently listening to a pregnant Gracia make breakfast for her family. Maes had left a little while ago to go pick up someone. Her welcoming home was just as awkward and tense as she had dreaded. How much longer could she go without saying anything? Would they figure it out on their own? Did they already know? How could they ever look at her the same?

An open phone book was sat on her desk. Phone numbers to local automail mechanics were already circled. She'd only bought that book a day ago when she arrived back in Central, but she needed to be fixed as soon as possible. She couldn't be here when Gracia and Maes finally got their real child.

Cecelia watched the street, she could see the front entrance from her window. When Maes finally returned, dread filled her entire body. She should have known he would have called Roy. She was done for now. Cecelia considered all of her options for escape as the two men made their way inside. Did she have a chance of jumping out the window? Plenty of people would see her. There wasn't a back door and she couldn't make it to the front without passing Gracia, and then, of course, Maes and Roy.

"Honey I'm home!" Hughes called, opening the door for Mustang to enter.

"Oh, Roy! It's so great to see you," Gracia greeted kindly, still frying bacon over the stove. Her usual breakfast routine didn't feel normal, Gracia could feel the stress radiating all throughout her home, all caused by one little girl.

Hearing his name out loud made Cecelia flinch. Would he go straight to her? Cecelia got up and locked her door. More time. More time.

"Do you mind if I talk to her alone, Maes?" Mustang asked, already heading in the direction of her room.

"Just be gentle Roy," Hughes warned his friend before joining Gracia to help cook for the slightly larger breakfast she now had to cook. Gracia let a smile grace her lips thinking of how she would be cooking for four everyday sooner than later.

Roy tried the door nob first only to find it locked. He knocked instead and got a quick "Changing!" In response. 'Oh damn, good thing she locked it.' Would not be good if he started this conversation off by completely embarrassing both of them. "Cecelia it's Roy Mustang, you remember me?"

What a dumb question. Of course she remembered him. She wasn't gone that long. "Yeah, just give me a minute." Cecelia suddenly froze, stood in the center of her room, caught in the middle of struggling to put her shirt on. She was starting to sway back and forth. What was he going to say? What was she going to say? After another minute of Cecelia spiraling, Roy knocked again. "Just a second!"

A big sweater, that'll help hide it right? She took a deep breath and put on a lopsided smile, her very best poker face, then opened the door. "H-hey Roy! How have you been?"

She did not look like a twelve-year-old. Deep deep bags under her eyes and a pale complexion. Despite her smile, the girl didn't seem to have any joy in her eyes. She looked nothing like herself. Roy's eyes immediately fell to her left side. Hughes was right. Nothing. Cecelia turned her left side away from him. Her charade hadn't worked at all.

"May I come in?" He was trying his damnedest to stay calm.

Cecelia started to close the door mumbling, "I'm actually kind of tired. I was thinking of laying down a bit more before break- Hey!"

Roy forced the door open and entered the girl's room unceremoniously. Cecelia had to back away from the door to not get hit, so Roy was able to close her escape behind him.

Cecelia couldn't muster the courage to shout at him, to try and play the innocent card, and demand he left. What part of her could ever be innocent?