3

"It's been a week, Thalia. Just talk to him!"

Same scene. Me, stabbing my plastic utensil into whatever cardboard food they had today. "I don't want to, and I don't think he wants me too, either."

After I went to my car and grabbed my textbook, I told her everything that happened through writing on a loose leaf sheet of paper I pulled out of my journal. She apologized for, like, three days for calling me out. I know it wasn't intentional so I'm not worried about it, but I can tell she's still upset with herself no matter how many times I reassure her.

"I don't know, lia, he's been looking at you all week. It's kinda weird."

I looked at her quizzically. "What do you mean by weird?"

She sighed. "I know I've been making jokes about you two but this is weird. I've...been feeling conflicted. I feel really bad for possibly fucking things up, but at the same time, I wonder if it's for the best. I also think you should at least wait a while after graduation if you want to pursue anything. This all feels very wrong."

I nodded, my heart sinking. "Don't worry, Riley," I leaned in and put my arm around her shoulder, "I won't do anything. I don't want to talk to him because I didn't want him to think anything inappropriate."

It was her turn to look confused. "Then why did you lie?"

My face burned. "That was a stupid thing to do. I don't know why. It was a lapse in judgement. I'm going to apologize to him, and it'll never happen again."

This all felt fake coming out of my mouth. I have a feeling this is going to be a situation where I don't have any impulse control. I... don't want to wait. I want to know him. I want to be close.

She looked at me with a bright smile. "I'm so proud of you. You can do this."

I laid my head atop hers. "Thanks, hun."

"Anytime." We sat there for a minute before she sat herself back up in her seat and looked at me. "When will you be talking to him, do you think?"

I groaned. "I have no idea. I am terrified. How do I even talk to him? How do I start? What if he doesn't want to talk to me?"

And when I finished my sentence I realized I noticed the little signals she was sending me much too late as I saw the back of Mr. Min pass right by our table. I could tell he had been directly behind me from the faint gust of wind I felt on the back of my neck from him passing our table. I watched his back as he walked to the teachers table, my throat sank to my ass. I felt sick. Anxiety was through the roof.

"You okay Thalia?" Riley checked in on me.

I nodded. "Yeah, I just..." I trailed off, my eyes still on Mr. Min as he sat down and looked straight at me. I guess I subconsciously decided it was a contest because I refused to look away. It took him a few minutes but his gaze left mine and I looked back at Riley.

"What just happened?"

"I.. don't really know." The uncertainty was evident in my voice as I snuck one more glance at him only to find he was doing the same.

I decided to talk to Harley after everything about the details of everything. I don't want to worry Riley.

"I was trying to get a read on if he heard us," I lie straight through my teeth. I feel horrible, but I don't want anyone in trouble. "I can't tell, but he has glanced over here a couple of times."

"Ugh, what a creep," she scoffed, looking at his table and I silently thanked whatever god was out there that he had looked away before she turned to face him. "I know I made those jokes with you but those were stupid, very stupid jokes. Please, Thalia, do not do anything. It still weirds me out you got a ride from him."