1

My books landed on my desk with a loud thump as I plopped myself in my first period seat. Dread washed over me while I pulled out the homework for class and slid it to the corner of my table for when the teacher came to collect it, pulling out my phone to pass the time and maybe calm myself down.

I hate first period. Very very much. My teacher was a miserable asshole, and she always called me out on the dumbest things to try to embarrass me in front of everyone. I don't even get bad grades! I missed one assignment! It's ridiculous. I have to see her for two whole hours of my morning, she's my humanities teacher; she teaches English and History. I'm just glad it's the first class of the day, I get it over with quicker. No fear throughout the whole day, just the first few hours after I arrive.

I scroll through instagram while daydreaming about my fantasy home. In my dreams I'm in somewhere tropical, like Hawaii or the Bahamas. I have a little yellow house somewhat up a mountain, close enough to the beach that I can just walk when I'm not feeling lazy. It has a place for everything and everything has a place. It has a window seat. It has 2 bedrooms and two bathrooms, one connected to mine so I don't have to worry about getting to a bathroom in the dark. Maybe I'm married. I don't know. But I come here in my head when I need an escape. It's my safe place.

The bell jerks me out of the clouds and I notice I have a text from my mom.

I quickly put my phone away and pull out my pen, opening my journal to a new page for today's notes and doodling on the edges

I quickly put my phone away and pull out my pen, opening my journal to a new page for today's notes and doodling on the edges. Minutes pass and my classmates start mumbling amongst themselves. I look up to check the time, class should've started about twelve minutes ago.

"Riley!" I whisper-shout, trying to grab my friend's attention. I was sat in the very back, lucky me, because once I learned how much Ms. Robins hated me, I told her all the time how I wanted to sit at the very front, right next to her. We also tried to convince her that we hated each other, but we're stupid and screwed that up immediately, so now, Riley sits three seats ahead of me in the row right next to me.

She doesn't hear me since she's on her phone so I try again, just a little louder.

"Riley!"

Nothing. She's completely focused on whichever boy she's toying with this month. I tear out a paper from the back of my journal and crushed it into a ball and chucked it at her, hitting her right on the back of her noggin. She jerks her head to look at me, obviously annoyed while I hold in my laughter.

"Yes? Did you need something?" She asks, smiling.

I calm myself down before responding. "Yeah, do you have any idea what's going on with Ms. Robins? Class was supposed to start," I glance at the clock again, "Twenty minutes ago."

She shakes her head. "I'm just as confused as you are."

I sigh and give her a thanks before she goes back to her phone. I sink down into my chair and stare at the front of the room, studying it for the millionth time. I notice the teacher's desk is missing a lot of her usual attributes which is odd. I wonder what happened.