02| nate

She's beautiful. The kind of beautiful that can captivate anyone, the kind of beautiful that makes me weak in the knees... the kind of beautiful that makes me want her.

But I can't, she's Sam's best friend. She's James's little sister. As much as I'm tempted, I can't cross that line, it isn't right.

As far as I'm concerned I'm definitely not the kind of guy she would even take a second look at. She has so much going for her right now and the world is her oyster. She has a huge job opportunity lined up in Manhattan for Christ's sake. She has ambition and acts on it in strides. Me on the other hand? I couldn't be further from that if I tried. I was born on a farm, and I'll probably die on a farm.

I'm not mad at it, I love what I do. But my job almost feels like it amounts to nothing in comparison to her. In comparison to all my friends, really.

But it's safe, and best of all, it's close to home, even if it is the least ambitious thing I could have done with my life.

I continue to drive the endless highway with Abby and Jesse in the back seats with Lia to my right in the passenger. The smell of her perfume is strong with the combination of the humidity and the fans blowing in the car.

The scent of her fills the car, a familiar one, and one that holds a special place in my heart. It always surprises me, but Lia still wears the same perfume I bought her for her sixteenth birthday.

I remember during that time she, Sam and Caroline would read my mom's magazines and Lia would always go out of her way to smell the perfume samples. One time in our living room I was in the kitchen with them when she showed the others one she really loved. When they left the house, I went through the magazine to find the one she mentioned and remembered it for her birthday. I still see the smile on her face when she opened it and the feeling of her when she hugged me.

I sneak a quick glance at her and sigh at her perfection, though one of my favorite part of her will always be her hair. It's so soft and golden with highlights that run through it in the sun.

Guilt seeps into my conscious and I turn away to bring my eyes back on the road. God, if James knew what I was thinking... if any of them knew what I was thinking. There is not a realistic happy ending in sight.

I sigh. Sometimes I see hints that she may like me. Like when she hugs me tighter, or makes those damn doe eyes at me when I touch her hair. I'm sure it's my imagination getting the best of me, but as life would see it, wishful thinking is my guilty pleasure.

I get a text from James and I glance down to read the message.

James: we're heading to the rest stop. We can all catch up there.

I look at the rest of the car still sleeping soundly, but I could use a break. That and another coffee would be great.

Me: we're coming

I transition into the right land and watch out for the rest stop, or at least Caroline's car. It's only about two miles down when I see it, where her car is parked on the left side of the lot.

I pull in next to her's and turn the car off. I debate back and forth between waking them up until I see that the car stopping does the trick already. The three of them begin to stir in their seats, and within a minute they're all upright with their eyes open, or at least semi-open.

"Are we there already?" Jesse asks, his voice groggy from the nap.

"No, I just followed the other car into here. Does anyone need the bathroom or something to drink or eat? This is probably your only chance to do that until we get to the apartment," I say.