Chapter 1

"Sh!t" It was raining cats and dogs, I was running to school. You might think oh Everyleigh, why are you running to school without an umbrella? Just kidding, that's probably the last thing you would think about, but that's what I was thinking the whole way to school. 'Everyleigh how could you be so dumb and forget your umbrella?' 'because I was late ofc, I AM ALWAYS LATE. I can almost hear my grandmother saying 'Everyleigh! Wake up early for once in your stubborn life.' That was her waking me up every morning after my mother passed away. Now, don't be sad for me, if you are, well, you probably aren't. But after all when she died I didn't even shed a tear, call me what you want, I already call myself half those names and I am not complaining. I'm not the type of person to be friends with oh, right I don't have friends. But seriously, I deserve it. I didn't even bother to ride the car today, my grandmother was already beyond upset, so instead I took the taxi, which I paid for. I snapped back to the present, bumping into the school doors. I hurried into the school and went to my first class, history. When I went into the classroom, I put my head down, I was embarrassed, I guess? I went to the very back seat on the very right side of the classroom, my right not the walls. When I settled down, I finally raised my head and saw that many students were not there including the teacher, which I probably should know her name but I don't. I pulled out my phone and listened to music while waiting for her to come.

---

It took her 20 mins from when I arrived. She said her apologies blah blah blah and then started the class, I wasn't listening at all instead I listened to music while drawing on my worksheet. Which I probably shouldn't but I couldn't care less. After my mother died I couldn't care less about anything really except for my cat, pebbles. 

----

At lunch, I sat by myself in the back of the cafeteria towards the right. I sat by myself while reading a book. Then a finger was tapping the top of my book. Without even lifting my head I said "go away".

"Since when did you own this table?" A deep voice said calmly. I lifted my head and saw an exceptionally tall, dark haired boy with dark blue eyes as calming as rain in Spring. "Since when did you ever sit here?" I asked, kinda reversing the question that he just asked. "Elijah, a pleasure to meet you" He said in the same calm tone from before, ignoring my question, which was rhetorical so it didn't really matter. "Can't say the same to you" I said, closing my book while slightly opening it with my finger that I put as a bookmark. "You have quite the attitude" he said in the same calm and relaxed tone. How does he do that? While I was thinking, he swiftly sat down on the opposite seat across from me.. "What do you want?" I asked suspiciously. "I just want to sit here, is that a problem?" He asked, tilting his head slightly. Yes, that is a problem, dumbass. Without answering, I turned my attention back to the book that I was holding in my hand.

* The next day *

Unicorn...... with sprinkles..............I love uni- "EVERLEIGH WAKE UP!" Gosh, why is she waking me up so early? 'It's only 6:30' I turned my head to see a bolded red 6:30 on my alarm clock. 'Everyday I wake up at 7:00 and then at 7:30 my grandmother drives me to school, yes my grandmother drives me to school, she is so close to becoming a superhero.' This is my second week at Grand Mountain High. The closest high school to my grandmother's house, a small house you would think was a cabin except for the fact that it was surrounded by streets and busy cars zooming around. I unwillingly opened my eyes and then unwillingly got out of bed and half yawned and half screamed "I'm coming!" Already knowing that my grandmother was downstairs.

---

Grandm-what are you doing here? "Hi Everleigh'' he said, ignoring my question completely, this time my question wasn't rhetorical. "Everleigh, show some manners, you know, I can't drive you to school everyday now and my back is completely killin' me." So much for the superhero thing "So instead Mr. Russo is gonna take you to school everyday." Great, the very person I was rude to is taking me to school, how can this day get any worse, it barely even started. "But grandma, I am extremely capable of walking to school by myself" I said, not wanting any sort of contract with him. "Everleigh, you don't know how to even get to the school yourself." My grandmother stated in her usual very grumpy and strict voice. "I- '' I started but then paused to think, I don't know the way to my school, but I wasn't going to just admit that to my grandmother or that boy. I don't remember his name, did he tell me yesterday? My grandmother probably took that as a sign, that I don't know how to walk to school because then she instructed Mr. Russo to wait outside while I was eating my breakfast. I purposely took my precious time with it.

—-

After all, all good things come to an end, I'm pretty sure that is a quote from somewhere or whatever but after taking my time with my breakfast I finished it eventually. I made up some excuse to do my makeup and hair and I was about to make up an excuse to walk Pebbles but then my grandmother was rushing me to go or else I'm gonna be late to school apparently. But I really could care less about going to school either way. I rolled my eyes and stepped out the door.

"So, show the way" I said standing in front of him, while he lifts his head from his phone and said "What took you so long?" "That's none of your business" I replied, not wanting to tell him about my stalling. "Okay" he said slowly, not liking my response "Well, lets better get going before we both are late" He continued. "Lead the way" I said , repeating my previous sentence from before.

—-

"What is your name?" I asked him after a couple of minutes of silence. He chuckled lightly before saying "My name's Elijiah, I told you yesterday, did you forget?" "Well, it's not my fault I have a memory like Dory." He chuckled again. Then I asked "Why are you doing this, don't tell me it was from the goodness of your heart." I said, then continued to say "Unless you want me to believe in unicorns and dragons." "Fine, your grandmother might have promised me some money. Why, does she always do this?" He asked. "No, but no one is that nice." not wanting to add this but then it got the better of me so I add. "Exceptionally not you". He rolled his eyes and smiled gently. 

And then, we arrived at school, did I remember the route? 

No. Does it matter? No.