Lin's Pov: Hinting.

Start from the beginning

He turns back to look at me and I can see him thinking hard. My paw feels so warm right now! With a sense of uncertainty, he asks "Lin? Are you...."

My heart pounds even faster. Is he going to ask? Has he figured it out?

Puro quickly manages to get out "Lin would you like to keep holding my hand?

A sense of relief floods through my entire body. That was close.....there's no way he doesn't know. Puro's not that daring is he? He must know that I feel something...

I still reply a little red "Y-yeah of course."

Puro smiles at my answer, clearly happy with it. It's a really soft one yet it still manages to make my heart soar. He takes my paw and walks towards a lounge area near the bedroom. The furniture is a little worn out and old-timey but it looks good enough. The sun shines through the windows dimly illuminating the small room. Without it, it would be most likely completely dark.....Maybe there's emergency power? I reluctantly let go of Puro's paw and walk over to a light switch. With a quick flick....nothing happens. It has been almost 5 years....I'm a fool to think that would actually work. Frustration fills my head as I walk over to Puro who has now set against the edge of a couch. His knees are pressed up against his chest, a large fluffy tail tucked around his front. He looks just like he did in "The Wolf's Nest" as he called it. A small smile reaches my muzzle from the lighthearted thought. Puro looks at me gently and pats the spot next to him. I smile even wider and sit down right next to the latex wolf.

He declares with a small smile "Puro is ready to read when you are Lin."

I nod. I try to mentally prepare myself for what's going to happen. I can already imagine the contents of the book as Puro opens it.

His voice is surprisingly calm as he reads out loud "Introduction to love. The definition of love is an intense feeling of affection."

At those words, I look up into Puro's eyes and see him glance at me. He quickly continues "It's more commonly known as the warm fuzzy feeling you get when you're near someone. Or when you want to constantly be around someone. Love is everywhere. There are different types of love. Love for family, friends, and then there is the big one. The love that makes people swoon. A relationship is what most people look for these days. They may look for someone of the same gender or opposite but it doesn't matter. Love is love and has no bounds."

Puro stops reading for a moment and comments "Wow....this must.... have been a really big deal for humans. I..didn't know this was even a feeling you could feel. Puro imagines....it must feel great to feel for someone."

He stops and just stares down at the book. Puro....must have never felt love. He never even had a conversation with someone before me......this...is depressing.

Puro notices my sympathetic look and reassures me with a smile "I'm ok Lin. Don't worry about me."

His reassurance isn't very reassuring. I...want to help him. Something about Puro....it's just I want to be as close as I can with him. I owe him that right? Besides, we're some of the only talking creatures in this world. We might as well get as close as we can.

Puro begins reading again "The first chapter of this book will explain how you know you're in lo-"

"Puro."

He looks down at me surprised. He asks nervously "Yes Lin? Is something wrong?"

"Puro I'm fine....it's just....I'm worried about you."

His eyes widen a blush creeping its way on his mask. Puro replies sheepishly "You shouldn't be Lin.... you've been through a lot more than me. That lab was scary for you. I could tell." His voice falls off near the end.

It was.

"That doesn't matter now Puro....what matters is the both of us. Together."

His ears droop.

Puro says sadly "In the lab....I considered transfurring you....just so you would be ok. I don't want to lose you. It's my worst fear. All I've wanted....was someone to talk to. My whole life. No matter how much I tried to improve myself it didn't matter. All I had was you, Lin. I still do. Puro...wasn't even capable of keeping you safe. That doctor could've killed you! I don't...deserve someone like you."

His voice cracks. The former optimistic Puro is gone. The fluffy mess beside me begins to shake.

Softly I say "Puro....don't think like that. Without you, I wouldn't even be here. I'd be mindlessly wandering that lab looking for some unfortunate human. The kindness you showed me saved me. Honestly.... you're the only reason I kept going. Yes, you thought about it Puro but you didn't do it. You know what you did?"

He looks down at me, latex tears forming in his eyes.

"You changed my fate."

I wrap my arms around Puro and hug him. Almost instantly I feel his warm fluffy arms wrap around me tightly. Warmth floods through my body as the two of us embrace. I can hear him sniffling as he hugs me tightly to his chest.

I say soothingly "It's ok Puro....it's ok."

"Thank you Lin....thank you so much."

After a few minutes of just standing there in each other's arms, I pull away. I look up at Puro and smile. He manages a warm smile back. Though I can still see the tears in his eyes. I just noticed now that the room is getting dark.

Puro says voice still shaky "It's getting to be night. We should get some rest. Today has been.... an emotional day to say the least."

The two of us laugh as we make our way to the bedroom. As I lay down in the bed with Puro next to me I think to myself. The air feels a lot lighter now. Though there still is something on my mind....oh....you know what? I'll figure that out tomorrow. I close my eyes, ready to face tomorrow. Just as I feel myself drifting off into a dream Puro wakes me a little. Suddenly I'm being hugged. His soft fluffy fur is so warm. I'm too tired to be flustered right now....besides this is so comfortable. The last thing I see before I fall asleep is Puro's face smiling down kindly at me as he holds me in his arms.