𝖎. invitation

i

i. invitation

      EVANGELINE STARTED having breakfast with a scowl on her face

EVANGELINE STARTED having breakfast with a scowl on her face. Her plate was filled with a grapefruit cut into quarters and she had a vase full of protein shake with a dangerous-looking green colour.

Her brother's school nurse had rightfully decided that he was overweight and Dudley's di­et sheet had been taped to the fridge, which had been emp­tied of all their favourite things. In other words, everything that was a teeny bit tasty.

Yeah, she wasn't having a good summer. Fortunately for her, she had amazing friends that cared for her taste buds and sent her food along with their owls. And with «owls» she meant, obviously, the magical way of sending letters.

(Hogwarts had turned out to be totally real, by the way. She was a witch with a magic wand and everything.)

Staying up late every night was definitely worth it when she received free cookies and sweets to make up for the horrors of going the entire day sugar-free. Evie suspected that her cousin Harry (he was a wizard as well, crazy!) had been too receiving little snacks, because he never once complained of the eating arrangement.

Don't get her wrong, by the way, she actually liked eating vegetables and fruit, she was a healthy girl! What she didn't like was having no other choice. If there was one thing in the world Evie Dursley hated, was being told what to do (especially when she was already going to do said thing).

Driving a piece of grapefruit into her mouth, she looked at the television, avoiding the massive block in her vision that was her father's head hiding behind the Daily Mail. The reporter in the day's news coverage, a blonde and tanned woman, was staring into the camera with a cold face.

"...marks a year since mass-murderer Sirius Black escaped imprisonment. We remind citizens..." she was saying, addressing the gravity of the situation with her tone.

Evie hid a smile.

Last year, Sirius Black had escaped Azkaban —a prison for wizards— as an alleged murderer. That summer? Evie found out he was her cousin's godfather and was actually innocent. A couple of large, brightly coloured tropical birds had brought the man's letters, instead of regular owls. Evie had even gotten one herself, which was a nice thought, even if he was threatening her (as if she needed a threat in order to treat her cousin well).