14. Truths Come Out

Start from the beginning

"You know I'm still here, right?" I had to ask when we were heading to the city limits.

"Hmm? Yeah, sorry..." he muttered and sighed. "I guess I'm still a bit tired... I didn't mean to ignore you."

"You can ignore me if you want. I don't mind," I said. "I'm just wondering why you wanted me to come along if you don't feel like hanging out."

"I do want to hang out with you," he hurried to say. "I really like your company. I'm just..."

"Tired?" I guessed, and he nodded. "But you see, I'm not a fucking idiot. I know you being tired has nothing to do with sleep. It's something else, so you can just quit that bullshit. You don't have to tell me what it is. I probably don't even care, but if I hear you say tired one more time–"

"I'm so fucking tired of everyone and their bullshit, all right?" he suddenly said quite angrily, interrupting me.

I snapped my mouth shut and stared at him as he stared at the road.

"Sorry... I didn't mean that..." he then mumbled in embarrassment.

"Yes, you fucking did," I said with a smirk, and he glanced at me.

"No, I didn't," he said sternly.

I moved sideways in my seat so I could take a good look at him.

"What?" he frowned at me.

"I think it's hot when you swear," I said, making him laugh.

It was a genuine laugh.

"Of course you do," he muttered, glancing at me.

"So if you're so fucking tired of everyone and their bullshit, why am I here?"

"I'm not tired of–"

"Bullshit."

He sighed and his smile faded. "I'm not actually tired of anyone. I'm just..."

"Frustrated?"

"I suppose."

"So where do I fit in?" I asked.

"You're different," he only said.

"How am I different? Except for my murderous tendencies."

"I very much like your murderous tendencies."

"You're not answering my question."

He sighed again.

"I'm going to sound like a massive, entitled jerk if I answer that," he muttered.

"Now you better answer me or I will leave this car at the next intersection," I told him.

He peered at me carefully. "I know my life is perfect," he then began. "I know how easy everything is for me. I don't even have to lift a finger to get whatever I want. I know that. I do, and yet... I hate it. I hate how fucking perfect everything is. It's so fucking boring. And my parents... Especially my father..."

I listened in silence as he spoke. I watched him carefully, and I could see a wide array of negative emotions in his eyes.

"And I love my friends. They're great. Jessica, Allan... Fuck, that list was shorter than I thought..." he continued. "But the rest of them... People just act like they like me. I'm so fucking rich I could buy whatever I want. I could go buy a new Porsche right now if I wanted, so of course they all like me. Or at least they pretend they do."

"Yeah... Not all of them like you," I said quietly, thinking back to all the things I'd heard people say about Nic and the other Gabriels. Not anything family friendly. "Rich people problems, I suppose."