He stopped. "Listen, this might sound crazy but—"

"I'm not going to listen. Whatever crazy idea you have, drop it."

"It's not that crazy. Listen."

He waited for me to nod so he could continue.

"What if we get her to confess?" he says.

I put my head in my hands. "I was sure you were going to say this. This is exactly why I stopped you before you could say it."

"But it's everything they need. A confession."

"But what if they don't believe it?"

"They will. You'll make sure Esther tells the whole story."

"How am I going to do that? Do you even think she's that dumb to confess murder to me and then let me go unharmed?"

"Oh. Didn't think of that."

"Exactly."

"Then I'll stop her if she tries doing any harm to you."

I almost laughed. "Sure."

"I mean it. Don't you wonder how you got that bruise from me? Even if I was a ghost?"

I went silent.

"My touch can become physical, Creek. Like it or not, it can. If she tries to harm you, I'll come in between you two," he continued.

"Are you positive you can?" I ask unsure.

"Positive."

"Then, what's the plan?"

We made a plan. Nothing too sophisticated. I just needed to lure Esther into the forest. At night. I don't know why Basil requested it should be nighttime, but I trusted his words. Basil said the forest was also safer. He knew the forest well, so if I had to run away, Basil will guide me somewhere Esther wouldn't find me. All I had to do was to bring her to the school's forest, the place where Basil died. What's greater than getting someone to confess their murder in the place they killed somebody?

We'll put up the camera – for hopefully some footage and audio – and leave it recording until I come with Esther into the forest. I'll just ask her to hang out with me. It's not like she will refuse me, anyway. I just need to get in touch with her.

"Should I call her?" I ask Basil.

"No. Wait until tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the day," he replied.

I nodded.

*

To my surprise, Esther came to school the next day. I wasn't mad at the fact that I didn't have to call her. I was glad, actually. That just meant less work.

She arrived late, probably during the last twenty minutes of music class. I gave her a smile when she entered. Her eyes immediately locked with mine. She smiled back. Marigold was also grinning beside me, happy that her friend was back. But Esther's eyes were stuck on me. She ignored Marigold.

Esther sat down at the desk beside me, which to my advantage, happened to be empty. Instead of paying attention to class, I started talking to her. She was attentive to every word of mine. I had the urge to shiver at her glance but managed not to. Basil was next to me, giving me ideas of what small talk I should make next. Mari, on the other side, tried joining in the conversation. I was surprised she didn't ask Esther why she wasn't at school yesterday. If Mari didn't say anything about it, I decided I shouldn't say anything either. When Marigold saw that Esther wasn't really paying any attention to her and that neither was I, her mouth closed, forming a thin line. I felt bad for ignoring her, but after I'll do what I have to, everything will be better.