xii.

Today, things went as expected; my courses, however, were easier than I'd predicted. Somewhat.

It was Friday, so physics was my last class of the day. Ansel also had the same class, so we greeted each other. Sadly, all the seats near me were taken so we couldn't sit one beside another. Marigold attempted to call me twice, even though she knew I'd be in class and couldn't answer without risking detention. My phone was set to vibrate, but I squeezed it into my pocket alongside my house keys, so it sounded less like a gentle notification and more like a chainsaw.

On the other side of the classroom, Ansel laughed at me, his mouth barely hidden behind his textbook. Oh, marvelous. If Ansel could hear the commotion all the way over there, I didn't stand a chance of remaining undetected by the teacher.

Mr. Ben, the worst teacher to be around while bending the rules – something I somehow managed to do all week – whipped around. I hunched over my desk and acted like I was too lost in the lesson to notice the racket inside my jeans. Luck was on my side for once, however, because, after shooting me a warning look, Mr. Ben let it go.

On the way out of class, Ansel hung back to talk to some random guy. Rather than waiting for him as I'd usually do, I joined the sea of students as they headed down the hall. I was about to return Mari's call when footsteps thudded behind me. I smiled to myself. Basil caught up.

I waited for the people to leave the hall before I slowed my pace, expecting him to fall into step with me. Instead, I was thrown forward with a grunt of surprise as an unexpected weight barreled onto me. Basil let out a short laugh while I stumbled forward, nearly losing my balance. I wondered how stupid I must've looked to the few students that were still in the hall.

"Get off me," I said, trying to jump so I could shake him off.

He laughed and easily unfolded the legs that were wrapped around me. Even though he was a ghost, he still weighed at least half of how much he did when he was still alive.

He motioned me to follow him, so I did. I noticed that we were about the leave the school building.

"Are you taking me into the forest?" I ask.

"Mhm," he hummed.

When we were just about to enter the forest, a sudden black appeared in front of his eyes.

"Basil, get your hands off my face—"

"Come on, you can hold onto my arm. And follow my voice," he replied and I could hear the smile in his voice.

"If I fall, I take no responsibility for—" I was cut off as Basil's hand slipped over my mouth. I thought about biting his hand, but he managed to pull it away before I'd have given it a chance. "—injury."

The ground beneath me shifted texture, from dirt to grass. Basil removed his hands from my eyes, grabbing my shoulders from behind me. Blinking into the sudden light, I didn't even look at the scenery. I glanced behind me to make sure the way was clear, then threw us backward.

Basil hit the ground hard beneath me. I rolled off him, ripped my bag from my back, and brandished it as a weapon. He raised an arm to ward it off, laughing helplessly.

"You idiot, that's what you get for jumping onto me while I was in a hall full of people," I grunt.

"So? It looked funny."

I threw my bag at his face knowing it won't hurt him, and it bounced off his crossed arms. He held out his hands, weak from laughing.

"Help me up," he finally said.