Chapter 17 - The Warning

Start from the beginning

     (Y/N) froze. 'Blond hair, long skinny tail..."

     No one noticed Tuca leave the Head Keeper's side and walk up the road by himself. He stopped his growling as he noticed something on the pavement that the others had missed.

"Euh this is creepy!" Axel shuddered. "You think those are the demons that are following us, Jules? Were they trying to ambush us or something?"

     Jules rubbed his temple as he thought it over. "If it was an ambush, there would've been more than just two attacking us. If they've been following us for a while they must know what we're capable of by now. This could be a test."

"What? Sending demons to come beat our asses to see if we'll fight back?" Axel deadpanned. "They can't just come out themselves and fight us instead of wasting our time?"

"If they're the scouts that are following us..." (Y/N) spoke as she went back to inspecting the bodies. "Of course, they'll send lackeys instead of approaching us themselves. Why risk one of Zankoku's stronger allies when you can send in someone disposable?"

     Jules nodded, agreeing. "We're being followed and they're testing us. I'm not sure why but we'll have to keep our eyes wide open now. This won't be the last time..."

    (Y/N) felt an indent around the demon's neck and narrowed her eyes as she pulled the fabric away to reveal a pendant. The same one they had found back at the church. It looked freshly made too and not as dirty as the one she found before.

     No doubt now. These were Zankoku's followers.

     The Capturer left after Jules dismissed them, leaving just him, (Y/N), and Axel. He'll have to contact other nearby Zones again and see if they're getting the same treatment as them. The Head Keeper stood up with the pendant in her hands and shoved it into her pocket, she'll hand it over to Saren once they were done. But upon remembering the little demon who was with her, she turned around and noticed he was gone. "Tuca?"

    She looked around and spotted him up ahead staring down at the road. Vam was with him at this point and she seemed a bit unnerved as she met eyes with the woman before going back to the ground. (Y/N) walked over to them with the two men following her and as she got closer, she noticed a trail of black blood beginning to form. Fresh blood that went from a pitch black color to a darker red that stood out in a way. It couldn't be human blood, could it?

    Once whatever the two demons were looking at came into view, it began to form a familiar shape that they all had come to know.

    Zankoku's mark.

    It was roughly painted on the pavement, somehow darker than the road itself. By how messy it came up it appeared to have been rushed. It wasn't as neat as the other ones they had found and some evidence of claw marks could be seen long the strokes. (Y/N) glanced back to the demons and noticed one who had claws and a hole in its hand that bled. That had to be the one who painted it.

    Tuca hid behind Vam as the adults approached and lowly growled at the marking on the road. He could smell his uncle's blood mixed in as well as on the corpses. It was a scent similar to his father's but much more foul in a way that made the boy cringe at the scent. He covered his nose with the sleeve of the oversized jacket he was wearing and turned away to stop from smelling it.

    Vam crossed her arms but used one to comfort the boy behind her by patting his head. "Probably too late to follow the scouts. They could be long gone by now."

"The scouts did this?" Jules questioned. "Are they trying to intimidate us?"

"If I had to guess, yea. They usually use lackeys as sacrifices to make the marks but probably used those two as weapons before they died. But this doesn't seem like a territory claim, more like a warning." She shrugged. She gestured towards the two deceased demons before gesturing to the mark. "The scouts ordered them to make it and with it being on the road we're on, I guess it's safe to say that they're keeping tabs on us."

    She looked out into the trees, making the others follow her gaze. "We could be getting too close to a hideout likely. It's best if we don't follow them and stay away. Unless you guys want a real fight."

    Tuca started sniffing the air and turned to look at the trees to the east. He started narrowing his eyes and now moving closer to (Y/N), almost in a protective way. He muttered something that she managed to hear but when she did, she felt her nerves slowly rise up.

"Bad man..."

    Even though the boy kept his eyes on the trees, he couldn't see the red ones staring back at him with pure hatred. He didn't like other demons being so close to his girl, even children. Tuca can act like an innocent brat all he wants but that wouldn't stop Akai from putting a burning hole through his body and ripping out his lungs so he can suffocate to death. It was like one obstacle after another ever since he and Ki found (Y/N).

    They were both determined to get her back. Before they were at each other's throats when it came to her. Akai didn't want to share her with Ki and of course, Ki felt the same way. They both had a claim on her and due to their pride, they didn't want her to be with anyone else but them. 

    But now things were different. Now they're at an agreement.

    Their pride was the reason why they lost her in the first place. Instead of working together and focusing on the real threat, they got so fed up with each other that it almost led to their deaths and (Y/N) getting away. They didn't know if she was dead or alive before which tore them apart greatly.

    After the theatre, Ki and Akai were separated for almost a year. They went in their own directions in search of (Y/N) but after months of no results, they eventually began to give up. Akai stuck with Yama after their link fixed itself and traveled with him while Ki stayed a loner and stayed within the depths of the city. Ki was the first to be approached by the Demon King then months later, Akai and Yama were approached as well. When they saw each other for the first time after so many months, neither felt the same pride they used to have. Their reunion was rather... tense than heated.

    They avoided each other but eventually got to talking and realized it was both their faults that they lost the human they loved. When they were working together, they were able to keep her safe and alive. But as soon as they went against the other, that's when they had lost her.

    So they made an agreement. 

    If they were to ever find (Y/N) again, they'll work together to keep her in their hold... even if that meant sharing her.

"Dog."

     The spider demon quickly turned to Akai who was preparing to leave. He looked angered as usual but seeing that kid again seemed to further piss him off. "Me and Ki are gonna be heading back to base tonight. We need to report back to the King before his ass gets impatient again."

    Dog nodded and got up as well to follow but was pushed back into his spot roughly. "You're gonna continue watching them until we get back with an update. Alright!?"

"Y-Yes, sir!" He stuttered and watched the blond grow a pair of large leathery red wings and fly off into the forest. Not before giving the poor demon a glare that made Dog shrink back. He won't be seeing them for maybe 3 or 4 days, giving him some peace from their torment. thankfully. However, the two were fast so maybe a day or two.

    He huffed out a breath and glanced back to the humans. Scientists were beginning to inspect the dead demons and take samples of the mark. Dog cringed at the sight of the blood being scooped into small containers, remembering that same blood was inside of him. 

    His eyes sadly moved to (Y/N) who was preparing to head back inside the carriers with the little boy following close behind.

    He knows approaching her is a bad idea. She'll probably read his mind and see everything that could jeopardize his master. She'll see Ki and Akai and would order his death since he's starting to believe that her history with them wasn't a good one. Maybe if he avoided looking into her eyes, she won't be able to read his mind? He's noticed that eye contact is what activates her ability.

     Maybe... he'll have to see...