Chapter 22

(Kagome's POV)

Kikyo and I have been walking for three whole days. She hasn't said a word to me since we got into that argument. Every time I try to apologize she just completely ignores me and walks the other way.

"Kikyo," I said as we walked down the path. She turns her head and walks faster. "Kikyo!" I grabbed her wrist "Wait!" She spun around and wretched her wrist from my hand.

"What!" She snapped.

"Please just listen to what I have to say." I said softly and she crossed her arms. "Look, I'm really sorry about what I said. I had no right." She scoffed. "But, you did not have the right to talk about Shippo like that either."

She looked down at the ground. "You're right. I should not have to said that about him and I'm sorry." She looked back up at me and stuck out her hand. "Acquaintances?"

I smiled and shook her hand. "Yea, I'd like that." We continued walking, I felt a little better now that Kikyo and I were okay. But I could not shake off the feeling of emptiness.

"Inuyasha stop!" Shippo laughed.

I froze, please tell me that was not what I thought it was.

Shippo laughed louder and begged Inuyasha to stop tickling him.

I felt butterflies in my stomach as I looked up at Kikyo who had stopped dead in her tracks.

She had heard it too, what I had feared most of all was about to come true. I had found my friends. No, this can't be happening, not yet. I need more time, but I suppose I would say that every time.

I felt tears threaten to spill out of my eyes and I quietly hyperventilated.

No, no, NO! I can't do this. I felt as though my lungs were going to burst.

Kikyo looked back at me and smirked. "Ready?"

"No." I whispered, my body trembling.

"Right, I'll lead Inuyasha away from the others. You hide behind the bushes and when I say now you come out and shoot him." She started to walk away.

"No." I hissed. "I can't do this Kikyo! I'd rather die than kill my friends!" A tear fell down my face.

"Stop being a big baby and go hide!" She snapped and began walking away again.

"Do what she says." I heard Naraku say. My body tensed and I stopped sobbing instantly.

"But-I can't. No! I won't do it!" I shouted back in my head and fought against my moving legs.

"Oh but you will." Naraku chuckled. "Because I have your heart."

So that's what it was. I felt a sudden pain where my heart should be and I couldn't breath. I fell down to my hands and knees gasping for air.

"I had it removed while you were out. It wasn't my idea, but Kikyo's. She despised you so much she had me take it out. You see Kagome I could kill you with just a simple squeeze and I could kill your friends slowly and painfully."

Kikyo? She did this? No, it was Naraku's fault. He had darkened her heart. He ruined her.

"No, it's because of you. That's why she did that, you've ruined her. How can you be so cruel? How can you sit around, watch people suffer, and laugh about it?" The pain in my chest stopped and my breathing went back to normal.

"Just do what Kikyo says." He said sternly. My legs began to move once more as I hid behind a bush with a large tree behind me. Kikyo was standing in a large clearing with her soul collectors orbiting around her.