III

*Thank you for 100+ reads!!*

-Y/N-

We took the boat that Edmund had retrieved back into the water. Edmund sat on the end, rowing. Peter was at the front, scouting the path. I sat near Peter towards the front. Lucy was directly beside me.

I looked at the clear waters. I could see my own reflection. I looked... better. Fresher. My hair was half pulled back and loosely tied to the back. The warm color of my dress brought out my natural blush. And in Narnia my skin seemed to be healthy and bright.

In the reflection of the lake, I could see Lucy staring up at the trees. I could also see Peter who was scouting. Sometimes he glanced at the water, but mostly he kept focused. He was a bit different than his siblings. His hair and eyes were bright. His blue gaze held a sharp focus. He had a little cut on his cheek, probably from saving Trumpkin. The red cut contrasted against his pale skin.

"It's rude to stare, even if it's through a reflection." Peter suddenly spoke up.

My eyes flashed away from the waters to him. I figured he'd be mad or upset, but he a small smile on his face. It was almost as if he felt proud that he was worth looking at.

"I wasn't looking at you, I was... assessing your cut." I quickly made up. "You should clean it before it gets infected." Technically it was true. His gash was still bleeding a little. I could tell Peter had a reply to that, but Lucy spoke up.

"They're so still." She mumbled, her eyes still looking upward.

"They're trees. What do you expect?" Trumpkin grumbled.

"They used to dance." Lucy replied. I looked at her.

"Dance?" I repeated. She nodded.

"It wasn't long after you left that the Telmarines invaded. Those that survived retreated to the woods. And the trees have retreated so deeply inside themselves that no one has heard from them since." Trumpkin explained. "But I still don't understand why you're here." Trumpkin moved his gaze to me.

"I don't know either, but I think the Pevensies are my best chance of figuring that out." I answered. Trumpkin was right, I thought. I didn't understand how I fell into this story.

"What I don't understand is how could Aslan have let this happen?" Lucy wondered.

"Aslan? I thought he abandoned us after you lot did." Trumpkin said. That was the third time I had heard that name. Aslan. I felt like I should know him... but I didn't quite seem to.

"We didn't mean to leave, you know." Peter quietly said, a guilty expression on his face.

"Doesn't make much difference now, does it?" Trumpkin responded.

"Get us to the Narnians and it will." Peter replied defiantly. The boat soon came to a stop on the shore. Peter and Edmund held the boat steady as the rest of us climbed out. I stumbled a little as I was getting out and Peter instinctively reach forward. But I caught myself without his interference.

"So, you're not always a clumsy mess." He joked.

"Yet you're always a sarcastic twat. A change of character would be nice." I mocked back. He just chuckled in response. Trumpkin started tying the boat down as we started walking off. Lucy suddenly grabbed my hand and pulled me along. "Look!" She dragged me towards something in the distance. It looked like a bear.

"Lucy..." I protested a little, but she moved closer.

"Hello there!" She called out to the bear. "It's alright, we're friends." She assured.