Chapter 9. "Welcome back party"

The day that I went back, I arrived early, at about 7 pm or so.

I had not bothered to change into my uniform and instead wore a sweatshirt and shorts; nobody seemed to care.

The days had kept getting colder as they flew by, and I noticed that the restaurant, too, grew ever chilling.

I asked another coworker about it, they just shrugged and said that management was working on it.

Still...that was going to be a huge bother.

I made a mental note to bring a coat next time.

I went to go find Laurence, and saw that he had fallen asleep in the office chair of the security room.

That's right, I had let him cover my shift.

Had he really been sleeping that long?

I sighed and decided to surprise him.

.

.

I returned back with my end of the deal we made days back, and in hand sat a fat, creamy milkshake. I don't know what his favorite flavor was, so I just asked for vanilla.

I shook Laurence until he awoke, he groaned, squeezing his eyes.

"...Ugh, not right now...5 more minutes..." He drowsily said.

"Laurence, it's me!" I exclaimed, holding up the liquid diabetes.

Laurence shot up upon hearing my voice, a simper grin appeared on the perimeters of his mouth.

His face was practically glowing, his eye bags were gone and he seemed to have a fresh, new, outlook.

I handed him the shake and propped myself up on the security desk, crossing my legs and letting them hang.

I contemplated his imperfect features, and each one made me smile. His hair, though unkept; was like a silky fudge colored cloud, swirling like brown licorice.

His eyes were like deep pools of iridescence, eclipsed by his child-like eye lashes, that curled up like waves crashing against the horizon.

And his funky little posture that he seemed to carry with him. It was like he was experiencing a weight on his shoulders that I wished I could just carry off and let fly away.

He noticed me staring, and stopped sipping from the ruby plastic straw.

"A lot has happened since you were gone." He said, pushing out the wrinkles on his shirt.

"Hey, believe it or not, but that icky couple finally got fired! No more 18+ coffee breaks anymore."

I giggled, and then stared at him sympathetically.

"How have you been holding up? I hope covering my shift wasn't too much for you..."

He paused for a second, his eyes falling to his lap; like he was silently praying for a better question.