twenty five. never let down your guard

Start from the beginning

"Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high." Daryl gestured to the height that resembled a similar heights to Sophia.

"That's a good lead." Rick nodded "Maybe we'll pick up her trail again."

Daryl shook his head and shrugged "No maybe about it. I'm gonna borrow a horse, head up to this ridge right here, get a birds-eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there I'll spot her."

"I'm coming with you." Athena announced, earning a hard look from Shane that she purposefully ignored.

"Nah. I don't need anyone covering my back. I'm good."

"Don't flatter yourself Dixon." Athena shrugged off in a friendly manner "More people means we have more chance of finding Sophia. Besides, I know my way around a horse and I don't think you have much experience."

"As long as you feel comfortable going I don't see a problem." Rick said calmly.

"She might be but I'm not. You're not going." Shane warned with a stern tone.

Athena wasn't in the mood for an argument, she just needed time to herself. Time away from the farm where Shane was around every corner checking in on how she was all the time. She didn't have a minute to herself. Athena appreciated that he cared for her and for once someone was protecting her instead of her protecting herself. But she needed to get off the farm, even just for a little while. "It's not up for debate, Shane. I'm going. Right Daryl?"

Daryl glanced between the pair as the group watched on in silence "Whatever. I'm not getting involved. I'll be at the barn."

As Daryl walked away, Rick decided to break the tension by continuing to go through the plan with the others and organise their search parties for the uncovered areas. After all, Sophia could be hiding anywhere. Athena could feel Shane's glare grilling the side of her head so she quickly glanced at him and walked away, shaking her head in disapproval. As she got further away from the group, Shane stalked around the vehicle they were stood at and cut her off from walking any further. "What's your problem?"

"I don't have a problem."

"Then what was that little stunt back there? You left camp only yesterday and now you want to leave again?" Shane narrowed his eyes in confusion, his frustration to protect Athena coming out more as a scold. "Has something happened? You haven't been the same since you got back with Maggie and Glenn? What going on?"

Athena rolled her eyes and continued to walk further "It doesn't matter. If you don't think I can handle it Shane then just come out and say it. I don't have time to argue about this, I'm trying to help find a little girl."

"Yeah and you're gonna end up killing yourself in the meantime."

"I have a gun, you taught me how to use it remember. I have a knife incase I run out of ammo or I need to make a quiet kill." Athena explained, she knew Shane was just trying to protect her but she needed time away from everyone — and by everyone she meant Shane. "I need to get off this farm for a few hours. I'm not going sit around like nineteen forties housewife washing clothes and cooking dinner. It's just not for me, I wanna pull my weight. If you wanna be pissed at me then be pissed at me...but I'm going."

The brunette stared into his eyes for a couple of seconds, she could see him holding back. She could see the pain and the fear of what he would feel if he lost her. She could see how much he cared. But would he still care as much if he were to find out about her pregnancy? Would he stick around and be with her or would he slowly distance himself as if everything they went through together never even happened.