chapter five

Armin stared at Eren for a few beats. "What?" He finally asked. 

"What do you mean, what?" Eren groaned, running a hand through his hair. 

"Ask me again."

"Um... okay. Do you want to come over later?" 

"Again."

"Why?" 

"I didn't like the delivery."

Eren snorted. "What, d'you want me to get on my knees and propose?"

"Propose?" 

"I don't know! You've gotta give me something here. I'm really fuckin' confused right now, man." 

Armin grinned. "Just ask me again." 

"Okay... Armin, will you come over my house later? Please?" 

"Sure! Why?" 

Eren blushed. "To hang out, you dick!" 

Armin shushed him. "We're still in the library, Eren. Stop being loud." 

Eren flipped him off. "Come on... We rarely hangout anymore."

"Eren, we hang out every single day. Every day." 

"Nuh-uh..."

"Yes, we do. Every day." 

"Fine. Do you not wanna hang out today, then?"

"When did I say that? I was just disproving your 'we rarely hangout' statement." 

"So... you do?"

"Well, we're already hanging out. I thought it was obvious we were going back to your place after we stopped here."

Eren shrugged. "I just wanted to make sure... Plus I need help writing a letter back to this secret admirer and I don't know what to say because I'm not good with words and you're like the smartest person I know and so I figured you could help me." 

Armin took a minute to take in what Eren said. "So you want me to help you write a note back to this person who likes you?" Eren nodded, and Armin grinned. "Okay."

"What? What's so funny?"

"Nothing, nothing. You're just stupid is all."

"Am not!" This time, other people shushed Eren, and Armin shook his head at him. 

"You're too loud for the library."

"That's why I don't like it in here." He stood up and offered a hand to Armin, who took it. "You gonna borrow that one?"

"Nah. I've read it before."

"Then why were you reading it again?"

"I don't know, really. Sometimes, when I really like a book, I like to reread certain parts so I can picture myself there, you know?"

"Not really, but... okay. That's cool." 

Armin smiled at Eren as he put the book back on the shelf and, not letting go of Eren's hand, they walked out of the library together and headed towards Eren's house. When they were right across the street, Eren spotted Mikasa and became conscious of the hand he was holding. He blushed, pulling it away, and the pair watched Mikasa get into her car and drive away. 

"Wonder where she's going in such a hurry," Armin wondered aloud. 

Eren shrugged. "Dunno."

"Weird."  

"Yep. Shall we go inside, then?" 

Armin laughed. "'Shall?' Since when do you say 'shall?'" Eren couldn't help but smile. He loved Armin's laugh. It was music to his ears. "What? Why are you smiling like that?"