"Are you thick!?! You have nothing on me!" Derik growled, standing to his feet so fast that the chair behind him fell back, hitting the floor with an angry clack. 

"Don't I?" I asked with a dangerous smile, enjoying the way the veins in his neck began to bulge. People were so easy to read under pressure. He wasn't just angry, he was afraid. Good.

The elevator chimed, signifying that we were no longer alone. 

Everyone turned towards the doors as Tate walked through them, sporting a well-cut midnight black suit and tie. An aura of darkness clung to him, making him look like a dangerous model. A rarity, yet beautiful sight. Apparently, every emotion looks good on him. 

His eyes found mine, lightning cracking wildly in them. There was so much that needed to be said. And he was clearly unhappy. 

I swallowed. "Hello Tate, glad you could join us." He offered a nod in return. 

"Care to share what happened the night of the Masquerade?" I asked.

"Wait, he was in on it?" Laurence asked, confused. "What's going on?"

Derik laughed. "Like that bucket of clown paste could do anything malicious."

Tate blinked, torn between a snide comment and laughter. "I have to admit, you have very good burn game."

"Did she tell you?" I asked as the elevator closed behind Tate.

"Yep," he said leaning against the wall to the left, eyes dark. "Susan told me everything."

I laughed as Derik's hands rolled into fists, looking like a trapped animal.  "And here you are Derik, letting her pin you with everything." I walked towards him, unable to keep a proud smirk from tugging at my lips. "Told you," I whispered in a taunt. "You are just a scapegoat."

Derik's face transformed, fury scrunched his features until he was an unrecognizable creature. He launched at me, but I was ready, stepping to the side as he swung, leaving him with nothing but air to stumble into. 

As he awkwardly staggered forward, I yanked him back by his other arm and pinned him to the ground. "Now, now. Let's be civilized," I said in an irritatingly soothing voice.

"ONE OF YOU, CONTROL YOUR WOMAN!" Derik bellowed, struggling against me to no avail.

"She's not mine!" Laurence blurted.

"Nah. She seems to have a handle on things," Tate added at the same moment.

I could feel the anger radiating off of Derik in waves, threatening to push him into making a stupid decision. "If you had played your cards just a little differently, I really would have thought Laurence was behind it all," I said, glancing back at Royal. "No offense."

Laurence shrugged, unsure of how else to respond.

Tate offered a small wave to Laurence. "You must be Royal. Nice to finally meet you."

Laurence looked back at him, flustered. "Um. Hey. Sorry about kissing Allie." 

I raised a brow at Laurence. "I thought you weren't sorry about that." 

"To Tate's face, of course I'm sorry! Dang, why are you trying to get me killed?!?" Laurence blanched.

"GET OFF ME!" Derik growled, the side of his face still pressed into the ground.

As soon as I loosened my grip, he scrambled to his feet, face red, angry at being so quickly overtaken. "You are the worst interrogators I have ever seen! This is why working for both of you has sucked!" Derik snapped. "You!" he said pointing at Laurence. "Are an incompetent, undetailed moron who doesn't double-check designs. So of course I could pass off Allie's designs as mine. You don't even know how to appropriately wear a tie clip!"